BigFix Review

We went from patching thousands of machines by twenty to thirty people to one person

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for patch management, software distribution, inventory, and power management.

How has it helped my organization?

BigFix has helped us to compress our patch cycles. We typically do one release a month. Where we really benefited from this solution is that we now have one to two people whereas previously we would need thirty to forty people taking care of it. That's where we benefited from BigFix the most. We've never had central patching before, so BigFix has improved things quite a bit.

It has helped to reduce software spend. We do have the inventory component, but it's not fully implemented yet. We know that the software does take out certain data and so now we have better data.

What is most valuable?

We are able to go from patching thousands of machines by twenty to thirty people to one person.

What needs improvement?

I would like better support on the backend.

It's stable. We occasionally run into hic-ups here and there. We've been working with BigFix for eight-plus years and occasionally things happen.

We're in the tens of thousands and we're under twenty thousand endpoints. It's been pretty easy to maintain.

Their technical support can be helpful. We send a PMR and they are pretty helpful. I would give them, on a scale from one to five, with five being the best, around a four.

The initial setup was straightforward on the BigFix side. We had some internal stuff that caused some issues but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

We implemented in-house.

We were looking for something that could run Mac and Windows. At the time SCCM didn't do anything with the backend side. We tried to set SCCM up but it seems to be more complicated than it needs to be. BigFix has one central database and is easier.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an 8.5 out of ten. BigFix has a great community, there's a lot of people that believe in it, it's whatever they advertise, and they listen to customers' feedback. We are heavily on-prem and with BigFix we have that option of staying on-prem.