BigFix Review

Enables us to make sure that we're not leaving ourselves vulnerable to exploits

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for security patching and application patching.

How has it helped my organization?

From a security standpoint, it allows us to make sure that we're not leaving ourselves vulnerable to exploits and things like that. That's the biggest advantage that we see to the product from a security standpoint.

We use it to compare current and past patch cycles. We usually roll the baselines into every patch cycle. We do some recording on previous patch cycles and stuff like that, and how effective each baseline is.

It has helped to compress our patch cycles from a long time ago. We were patching individually each day, then we were able to compress them all into a month.

I'm not sure by what percentage but it has helped to reduce help desk calls, in terms of security vulnerabilities, but it has reduced the amount of vulnerabilities and the security notifications we get. Also, self-service lets us install notifications, not like sending a front line support personnel.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features would be:

• The custom content
  • Baselines
  • Inventory
  • Application usage

What needs improvement?

I would like to see:

• More custom content
  • Better content for Mac
  • Automated patching. They have this but I'm looking for improvements.
  • Automated baselines for patching.

Stability is good. It works well. When it works, it works great. It's pretty quick to respond.

Scalability is good. From my other experience using the relays and things like that, it scales pretty widely. We have a pretty good amount of endpoints and it works well for us.

Technical support is good. We have a close relationship with people who work in the company. We are fortunate where we get direct communication with them, so it's good.

We weren't previously using a solution, so we knew we had to invest in one. We brought in a bunch of different solutions and BigFix was the one that won out.

The initial setup was was complex because it was new. The help that they gave us and the documents that they gave us were really straightforward. The first time I set it up there was a learning curve, but the second time it was real easy.

We also looked at Microsoft SCCM. We chose BigFix because it's more inclusive, it's centered towards Microsoft and Windows. There's a lot more content and things like that so, it's much more in-depth and widespread than SCCM.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BigFix an eight or nine. We've been using it for a really long time and we're happy customers.

I would advise someone considering BigFix to split it up and compare it to what you're looking at. You'll see that it can do more than other competitors.