BigFix Review

Allows for visibility into the OT that didn't exist before and has helped our network tracking when it comes to downloading patches

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for BigFix is in the industrial environment, we put BigFix into industrial facilities.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows for visibility into the OT, the industrial environments, that didn't exist before which is a big piece and has benefited my organization. Second, the speed at which people can patch is night and day versus SCCM or another similar solution.

When it comes to downloading patches it has helped our network tracking. Our networks are very low bandwidth and very sensitive. For instance, we're running a power plant and that power plant has to be up 99.99% of the time. That network that it's running on was built 35 or 40 years ago, without all the modern technologies, so we can't do it without BigFix.

Many of our clients have compliance requirements that they have to patch within a certain window and so we have to be able to give them data of when the cycle happened and if they complete the patches.

It has also helped to compress our client's patch cycles. For our clients, what was normally a full 30 days of work is now down to a couple of days to get the data in and actually get out and patch the thing. We tuned the BigFix console to enable that a little bit easier so it's a 75 to 80% reduction.

What is most valuable?

The ability for the agent to be customized, to both, run the fix list and the relevant language, but also to be able to be designed so that it only allows for outbound ports rather than inbound is the most valuable feature. We work in a lot of environments where there are segmented networks and we have to have an agent and a communication where we don't have any inbound ports into that environment. Having that agent be really small, and the ability to not have to have any open inbound ports into that environment is wonderful.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see different types of reporting and the ability to integrate closer with the cloud.

More than five years.

It's very stable.

Their technical support is very good. The BigFix community is the best part. The support is nice, but the fact that we've got all those other practitioners out there, that's the best part.

Our clients have definitely seen ROI from using BigFix.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because the reporting side of things could be improved and I'd like to see how they're going to fit it in with the cloud.

I would advise someone considering BigFix to look at it and try it. It's really easy to say SCCM is free so you'll just use it but you don't know what you're missing until you actually give BigFix a shot and try it. It's dramatically easier. It significantly reduces the time and effort that it takes to do things and it's more certain. You know what you've got rather than getting in there and guessing each time.

1 visitor found this review helpful