BigFix Review

Enables us to keep systems up to date, deploy new drivers, and find the information we need in the case of security incidents

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for compliance management, patching, and security configuration management.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to quickly deploy capabilities that we need, whether it be security or non-security. We use it to keep systems up to date, deploy new drivers, and find the information we need in the case of security incidents. The capability allows us to gather a lot of information very quickly and it also allows us to have a centralized reporting feature and a centralized deployment capability, which is nice.

It has helped to reduce network traffic when it comes to downloading patches with the relay structure. Talking from the corporate server down to the relays and then to the endpoints, it has helped from that perspective. It still causes impacts, not because of the capability itself but because of the content that's being provided by Microsoft and other vendors is just so large that it starts having impacts whether you want it to or not, no matter what kind of infrastructure you put in place.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility of the capability of being able to use the out-of-the-box content that we get from the vendor as well as develop our own capabilities on top of the core capability is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of the web UI product doesn't scale to the size that we need for our implementation so it needs to expand. I would also like to see the capability to develop on the back of the web UI capability. There are lots of web features and integrations that we could do with web UI that it would be nice to be able to put on top of what's already there, rather than waiting for IBM to develop what we need.

The core capability is very strong and hasn't changed a lot. Sometimes it is harder than others to get to some of the newer features, mostly just because we have a very large install base, and so having the time to roll out new capabilities is hard. Overall the stability and the upper trend of the capability is very good.

Scalability is good.

Overall, technical support is very good. Sometimes you have to figure out a different way to get to what you want and you have to escalate through multiple layers to get to the right solution. We've been using the tool for long enough that we don't need the easy help, we need the hard help. Sometimes that's really hard to get to and then the turnaround cycle between when we report an issue and when we hear back and being able to get data to the right people at the right time, we end up having to re-open tickets over and over again because we don't have the data that they need. Sometimes they ask for something and we have to go ask somebody else for it and get it back to them and by then the SLA has run out, so that's not good.

We implemented internally. We've worked with IBM professional services for new capability and assistance with improving our overall capability but we didn't use them directly to implement. We've been using the tool for a really long time.

It's better than SCCM, it's more flexible.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven or eight out of ten. The pain points that we have are particular to us just because of the size of our implementation, the number of endpoints, etc. Overall, I think it's a great product and a product that most people would really get a lot of benefit out of. The things that we struggle with are things that are particular to our organization.

If you're considering this solution, get involved with the user community early, make relationships with the development organizations, learn how you can advocate for yourself. User group kind of things are the best way to learn. Learning from other people who have been using the tool for a long time is probably the easiest way to see the most effective implementation and best use of your resources using the tool.