BigFix Review

One of the biggest benefits BigFix has had for our organization is the ease and efficiency to perform many different tasks, across pillars and platforms, all from one pane of glass.

What is our primary use case?

I support multiple customers who use BixFix for many uses including for security compliance, server automation, remote control, software distribution, patching, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It has immensely reduced network traffic when it comes to downloading patches. Across the board, I've had a number of customers who've had platform tools that I'm able to combine into one tool.

We've set up and started using BigFix to patch and have had much higher patch saturation rates than in the past. We do historical tracking with BigFix, and we can see that the success rate's gone way up.

It has also helped to reduce help desk calls because of the success rate that we have with the patching. As the success rate goes up, we get fewer calls.

What is most valuable?

The power is all in the platform. It's great to be able to patch. It's great to have a bunch of stuff for security compliance, etc but the power truly is in the platform or the tool.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see SDK for Web UI included in the next release.

Overall it's a very stable solution.

I've worked with customers that have a couple thousand endpoints to a couple hundred thousand endpoints. I've also looked at other competing technologies out there, and it is definitely one of the leading tools on the marketplace in terms of the scalability performance.

The initial setup is very straight forward. Depending on the customer, it can be complex as far as doing the necessary planning. Some customers can miss the point of doing a lot of that planning up front. If done right, it's not complex at all. You get really fast ROI from the tool.

My customers definitely do see ROI from using BigFix but it varies from customer to customer.

BigFix has faster ROI than SCCM. It's more scalable, requires a lot less hardware, has faster reporting, quicker data to get out of it; it's better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there's always room for improvement. I've been working with tools like BigFix for quite a while and it's one of the best tools on the market.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Business Partner.