BigFix Review

Enables us to to build custom content and scale to additional endpoints without increasing staff time

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for patching all of our systems and maintaining their security compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to patch our systems quickly and within expectations and to increase our volume as needed. It has also helped us compress our patch sites. We used to do it monthly but now we do it weekly.

Compared to SCCM, I always feel like I'm fighting the tool. I do not feel that way with BigFix.

What is most valuable?

The ability to build custom content and scale to additional endpoints without increasing staff time is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I'd definitely like to see additional feature parody in the web UI versus the console. There are certain things that you can only do in the console and they're very cumbersome to do, like secure parameters, for example. That's definitely something that has a wide degree of utility but it needs to be easier to surface. At this particular juncture between the transition, between the Legacy console and the web UI, it's hard to justify dealing with the cumbersome aspects of the Legacy console when theoretically everything's been through the web UI.

Stability is very good. We have no issues with it.

Technical support has always been useful and they have always ultimately provided a solution.

The initial set up was very simple, single server. We've since grown to a server plus an array of relays and we even use relays to get into some difficult to reach network areas. It's been pretty useful.

We implemented in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten and I'd advise someone considering this solution to start with one relay. Remember that it is a root shell robot. If you can do it on the shell you can do it with BigFix.