BigFix Review

Improved reliability upon the delivery of software and has helped reduce software expenses

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to develop custom content to deliver to restaurants.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved reliability upon delivery of software and has also helped reduce software expenses. The extensibility of BigFix helps to create custom solutions where we may have considered purchasing something instead.

We use it for PCI compliance and checking to see if endpoints are in a state where they need to be patched or not up to a certain level so it has helped us avoid compliance fees.

What is most valuable?

Being able to report directly on aspects of the system is the most valuable feature for us. Meaning, instead of reporting on just an error code or something, you can inspect actual files, properties, registry keys, etc.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see much better web reporting because as it is now, it's convoluted, basic, it's not modern, and there are limitations to it.

The stability is excellent. I haven't had issues with BigFix crashing unexpectedly or anything like that.

The scalability seems solid. We're a smaller customer. We have about 16,000 endpoints, whereas other companies have hundreds of thousands.

Technical support is excellent, as far as the forum support. As far as new product needs, it's mixed. Sometimes if you are asked to submit an official request they go into a black hole.

We implemented in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. You can see all of the code of the custom content that is created for you. That's huge. With a lot of proprietary solutions, it's a black box where you can't see what they're doing and when it messes up you're on your own. With BigFix that was huge because if something goes wrong then you can create your own copy and start troubleshooting it.

I would advise someone considering this solution to have a developer on staff to fully leverage the features of it.