Birst Review

Analysts used it build visualizations for presentations to senior management. Performance was not that great; in-memory processing would help.

What is most valuable?

Data visualization: The company I worked for had clients all across US. It was important for us to visually present the details to the senior management so that they were able to relate to the analytics very easily. Additionally, analysts were able to easily build visualizations and explain them when they were presented. Data in charts/maps speak more than data in a spreadsheet.

Also, in the customer-facing portal, it was easier for the customer to see visually than reading a report.

How has it helped my organization?

Data can be downloaded unto the Birst server, which means the analyst can run their own analysis without issues.

What needs improvement?

• Performance was not that great; in-memory processing would help.
  • Real-time streaming.
  • At the time that I looked at this product, it was in a incubation/stabilization mode. We ran into challenges with the performance. We were told that we will be able to build our star schema model and run our dashboards easily. But, when we had to do a lot of summarization, the performance was not that great.

I have used it for three months.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I encountered scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

I previously used in-house analytical solutions using Cognos and some of our native Java code base.

Initial setup was straightforward, because it was a cloud-based solution.

Negotiate.

Before choosing this product, I also evaluated Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a cloud-based, lightweight data mart and reporting, this tool is good.