Birst Review

With single-window development, there is no need to maintain or install multiple tools for metadata, reports development and service management.

What is most valuable?

Some valuable features in this product are:

• Auto modelling: Simply by uploading Excel, we can start reporting.
  • Birst's auto feature creates ETL in the back-end by analyzing data.
  • Cloud-based: This cloud-based tool is easy to maintain and can be managed with a single window.
  • Single-window development: No need to maintain / install multiple tools for metadata, reports development and service management.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Birst for developing solutions and prototypes, that are helpful for our customers.

What needs improvement?

For complex reports with heavy calculations, performance can be improved. I would appreciate more customization options in measure calculations.

Earlier, we were challenged during one of the previous versions (maybe Birst version 5.18). We wanted to define a new measure and build a complex calculation using the custom and existing measures. Then, there were certain restrictions in using the custom measure.

We are currently using version 5.23 and an update is due for us. Birst (currently updated to version 5.24) is very dynamic and there is another update (version 5.25) which will be released by them soon. We never tried to explore in the recent version and unsure if customization is available already.

I have used this product for a period of 18 months.

Product upgrades are frequent. In this manner, Birst tries to introduce new features and fix issues from existing versions. However, during upgrades we had to redevelop certain report prompts (and in rare cases the report itself).

Data processing time increases as volume of the data increases. However, if you are in the typical data load cycle schedules for end-of-day loads during off-business-hours, the time is minimal.

Birst provides quick and helpful support on raised queries. Overall, the level of technical support is good.

Previously and still now, we use Oracle BI (OBIEE). I find Birst are pioneers in Cloud BI platforms.

The setup was straightforward. Birst being a cloud-based solution, it does not require installation on servers. Allocation of space happens fast and with easy steps.

Birst has subscription based pricing policy, with a commitment for certain minimum time period.

We evaluated other solutions namely Oracle BI Cloud Service, GoodData.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to identify a use case and deliver business benefits. Then gradually, you can expand to users (or other use cases) in different functions and shorter sprints.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are implementation partners ​and solution providers.