Bitdefender Hypervisor Introspection Review

An excellent endpoint protection that's scalable and reasonably priced

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution offers a ransomware vaccine which has been very beneficial to our organization.

We had some attacks, but with Bitdefender in place, it prevented all of the ransomware attacks, which protected our company.

What is most valuable?

The solution has exchange protection. It has a content control, device control, a firewall, and anti-malware as well. They are all quite valuable features for us.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could use improvement. Basically, it has two main configurations, but it took more than six months to finish the setup. This is a long time, especially for on-premises. For the cloud version, we didn't have as much to do compared to the on-premises setup. If some of the configurations could be built-in, then the client might be able to do the setup according to their own environment.

Overall, the whole solution needs to be more user-friendly.

Encryption is an add-on license. They should just make it part of the solution.

There needs to be better integration with the environment. Especially, for the active directory and also for keeping up with the changes from Microsoft. We use a lot of Microsoft OS. I have noted that sometimes they lag behind Microsoft updates. For example, when with Windows 10. I had some issues with deploying to Windows 10 because the solution was behind in updating their own services to match the Microsoft release.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The cloud version of the solution is quite stable. The on-premises version might break down occasionally, especially when they do a new rollout of updates and upgrades. Chances of a breakdown are high, so before any update, you have to backup your appliance.

The scalability is quite good. Every new upgrade comes with new features, so it's quite a versatile solution.

Currently, I have 80 users for on-premises, and 20 users on the cloud. Whenever we have a renewal on the licenses we keep on adding more users. Right now our numbers are increasing.

Technical support is quite good. They have a local office. You can also get online support from their site. The last issue we had was a breakdown after an upgrade. They actually sent a technician to us from the local office to work on-site.

Previously, we were using Kaspersky.

We were having issues with Kaspersky. The solution wasn't user-friendly and wasn't that versatile. Four years ago, when we decided to switch, they had not advanced compared to Bitdefender, so we changed solutions.

The initial setup was straightforward because the on-premises model has a virtual server. It takes 20 minutes or less to bring it up. However, the configuration including the setting of policies, whitelisting, blacklisting, etc., that takes a lot of time.

You only need one staff member for maintenance.

We did have assistance with the initial setup.

The solution is quite affordable compared to other solutions.

There's a yearly cost for licensing. For us, that comes to $1,400. There are no additional costs beyond the license itself.

We did evaluate other options. I did some trials with solutions like Panda. I also checked some reviews online. I did a couple of tests and in the end decided Bitdefender was the right choice.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the cloud and on-premises deployment solutions. The cloud model is a cloud from their own server.

In terms of advice I have for others, I'd say for on-premises deployment models, the user needs to have a good server, especially for newly upgraded size increases. If a new user doesn't have too many resources on-premises they can also go with the cloud version which is quite simple and user-friendly.

I would rate the solution 9.5 out of ten.