Bitglass Review

We can verify people working remotely have valid certificates to connect to our applications

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our cloud-based solutions. For instance, we use it for Office 365, Salesforce, and a couple of web applications that are cloud-based. It gives us an added layer of security with a little more visibility into those applications, as far as: who's logging in and who's not. It's kind of a firewall, in a sense. Since none of our business is really overseas, we don't really have employees or customers who should be logging in from outside of the United States. We just block any attempt that is coming in from offshore.

Another thing that it does, if people are not able to connect, then it gives us an easy view into why they may not be connecting. For instance, if their iPhone is not connecting, then sometimes we can see if they are entering the wrong password or something else. It has a little simpler navigation than what Office 365 gives us. It is also a little quicker to see login failures.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us a more secure environment. If we weren't using their certificate and some of the other rule sets where we can verify their identity, we would probably not allow people to connect remotely unless they were coming through our VPN.

We are able to see attempted connections and that sort of thing.

We are able to verify what is getting saved out onto the cloud. It allows us to have some DLP rules, since we have to be HIPAA compliant. If some personal health information has been uploaded to Office 365, then we are able to detect that sort of thing and account for it. We have set up rules to prevent people from doing that.

We can create rules to prevent people from copying things. We can see what sort of security rights are set up in SharePoint. We use a sort of combination of a native Office 365 rules set with Bitglass rules.

It has allowed us to have people working remotely during this pandemic so we can make sure they have valid certificates to connect to applications. If they don't have a valid certificate, then they can't connect.

The solution provides a single policy page to secure all of our interactions to the cloud and our on-premise resources. For example, there is a policy page where we go to define our policies. On that policy page, we have Office 365 and Salesforce policies.

What is most valuable?

I find the login features probably the most valuable. If somebody is having trouble logging into Office 365 or Salesforce, I can typically verify, "Yes, indeed. I see you're not able to connect." I can usually figure out why they're not connecting correctly, such as, putting in the wrong user ID or password. Or, they might not have a valid certificate to connect to those applications.

Identity simplifies our cloud security ops. It gives us a single pane of glass for our cloud-based apps. Because Office 365 tends to be slow to navigate though, this gives us quicker access.

The initial login into Salesforce or Office 365 can be slow. However, once Bitglass has been established, it's not really noticeable.

They are improving their interface all the time, which is helpful. They have done some changes to make it simpler.

What needs improvement?

In our environment, when an Active Directory password changes, we tend to have some latency issues with access. It takes about 15 minutes before that password is accessible through Bitglass after the change. That would be the major thing I see as a negative.

The Active Directory password thing created a lot of negative feedback from our end user staff. As we move forward, we will probably have to evaluate that to see if it appears in other applications. At this point, we don't have any plans to discontinue it, but as we scale up, we will probably have that conversation.

Where I missed a step: I didn't provide enough training to our end user staff and system admin staff. This created some elements of frustration for them as they migrated to the cloud applications. The password synchronization piece seemed to be the big negative thing. When people can't log into an application, they get pretty uptight about it. That is probably my biggest misgiving.

The synchronization/password change issue is probably the most glaring problem that we have with it. Unfortunately, it's one that hits anybody who uses the product. Anytime their password changes, it becomes an issue.

About a year and a half.

The solution's overall uptime is excellent. We have never really had any downtime.

We don't really do much maintenance, because there's not a whole lot to maintain. Maintenance is pretty much done by a system administrator and me.

We only have about five applications that we are using.

Our whole company is going through the solution, so there are about 170 users.

Their technical support is excellent, accessible, and quick to respond. There is very little delay. We are not waiting around to hear back from them because they are right on top of it. Therefore, I would give their support staff excellent reviews.

It seemed complex in terms of getting used to navigating the interface.

Our deployment took a bit longer because we were in the process of migrating to Office 365. I am not sure I can pin that on Bitglass, as we would have to contact them when we got a new set of users. A lot of that was us getting use to managing Bitglass. They held our hands for several months. I don't think it was because of Bitglass as much as the timing of implementing Office 365.

We were in the process of implementing Office 365 and Salesforce. This was chaotic, and not the best example of an organization going to the cloud, but we got through it.

With their support, onboarding it was excellent. They helped us through the entire process and were easily accessible when we needed them. Their support has been excellent.

It was a good solution at the time because I didn't feel Office 365 was giving us a very robust solution. They have gotten better. So, when our renewal comes up, we will have to evaluate if we want to continue with Bitglass or if we feel that Microsoft is giving us enough of a solution.

We did really evaluate other solutions. We wanted something that was cloud-based, not an appliance.

This solution was recommended by a couple of third-parties who were using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would spend more time on the proof of concept than we did. We didn't really have the available applications to test it as robustly as we probably normally would have.

I would give the solution an eight out of 10.

SaaS
More Bitglass reviews from users
...who compared it with Netskope CASB
Learn what your peers think about Bitglass. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.