Black Duck Review

Good security, but creates a lot of manual work and needs better scanning capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for compliance. It's part of an audit process.

What is most valuable?

The solution has some pretty good features on offer.

It helps protect our information. It has good security.

The solution works well on Mac products.

What needs improvement?

The solution requires us to manually identify codes and other forms of identification, and this takes up a lot of time. The patterns the solution uses for identification need to be constantly reviewed by our team. There's also no time stamps. Everything needs to be reviewed. It takes double the time to identify things. Features just don't come up in the Hub.

We'd like to be able to authenticate through our two companies.

We're not too sure about the extension of the firewall. It never shows up in the Hub.

The Hub doesn't like that we have binary sides, so, once again, we need to check everything, meaning we get double the work.

The scanning aspect of the resolution needs to be improved. Right now, as it is, it's not okay.

It would be ideal if the solution offered features to add one or more components to a file.

We've been using the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. We find it pretty reliable in that sense. It doesn't crash or freeze. It doesn't have bugs or glitches.

That said, if a company is moving from any other tool to the Hub, it's not a good idea to move the Hub itself as there are a few bugs in that scenario.

I can't comment on the scalability. I've never personally tried to scale the solution.

Currently, we have 300-400 people using it in our organization.

The technical support has been fine. They help us a lot and we actually find them to be quite helpful. They will alert us when items become available or when new features are coming. We may not know how long it will take, however, we will know they are on the way.

We didn't previously work with a different solution. Black Duck has been our first technology for these types of tasks. As we are using it for an audit, I basically just learned the tool and started applying it to the process. I don't know how to use any other tool for this purpose.

However, the company is currently migrating from another Hub to Black Duck Hub.

The initial setup is unique. We're actually migrating from our current Hub to Black Duck Hub. It has its own specific challenges.

I'm not sure of what the exact pricing is for the solution. That's not something I handle. My company deals with those aspects of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Black Duck.

I'm not sure how the solution is deployed within our organization (whether it's cloud or on-premises).

We've had to migrate our current Hub to Black Duck Hub, which is not efficient for the identification process. We do projects. Due to our identification process, it's not as accurate as we'd like.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

More Black Duck reviews from users