BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite Review

Enabled us to build strict security with Kerberos; users don't have to fill in their AD password on their devices

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to get mobile access for things like email, that is the most important thing; when you're traveling or not at the campus. We use it for access to email, to the internet and to office stuff when not in the office.

How has it helped my organization?

People were used to accessing their email, etc., as we had BlackBerry Enterprise Service before. That's the biggest benefit, that you have your access to email, agenda, to your contacts when you're traveling around.

It was also an improvement when we got the Tasks and the Notes as well as Connect for Skype For Business. Those are the apps that brought improvement

What is most valuable?

The most important is BlackBerry Work, for sure because that is where you have email, and access to the emails is the most important thing for the users.

Access to the internet is also important, as well as calendar. The personal information management - email, calendar, contacts - are important, as well, perhaps as the Outlook features Tasks or Notes. Those are the most used.

What needs improvement?

What we don't have at the moment is RDP from the device to some kind of PC. That would perhaps become important. I don't know if that's coming from the BlackBerry Apps environment, or if that would be from a third-party.

Another feature would be access to a delegate's mailbox and I think that is to come in one of the next releases. There have been a lot of requests for that type of feature where, for example, a secretary can access the mailbox of the boss.

It might also be good to have some SAP apps. That's not in the BlackBerry, but it's in the container. Because we all have our business apps in the BlackBerry container, I count them as also being business apps.

More than five years.

It's really very rare for us to have had got problems with stability of the environment. For, a minimum of one year it has been running without any problems. There was an issue, where we configured something, and we had a problem with stability. But other than changes to the configuration, we have not had any problems with the stability.

We haven't really had any scalability issues. The only thing is that the UEM service is a little slow. We have a product production environment, and a test environment and both of them are a little slow. When you are using the UEM Web interface, it takes time to load. I don't know if that is because of the number of users, but generally, scalability is not a problem. If we had a very large number of users to add, I think we would find a solution, so that should be no problem.

We are quite satisfied with the technical support. It's running quite well. It's quite easy, no problem to open up a ticket. Our technical account manager is also very good because he checks for a solution, or perhaps he can push a ticket a little. But overall, we have had a good experience with their support.

We were using the old BlackBerry solution, BlackBerry Enterprise server. Then we switched to the Good solution. And then Good Technology was bought by BlackBerry and we were using BlackBerry again.

The setup was a bit complex because of our requirements. We had to build very strict security. We wanted to do the whole thing with Kerberos, so that you don't have to fill in your Active Directory password on the device, and that was a bit complex.

The normal setup is not too complex, but if you want to have an extra-secure process with Kerberos authentication then it's a bit complex. When you want to do it like we did, you need help. I don't think it's really possible to reach that level by yourself.

When I talk to our account manager, or with our sales guy, they both say we have one of the most secure environments, and one of the most perfectly built-up environments they've ever seen. So we reached a very good level there.

We looked at several solutions, comparing BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite vs AirWatch, and Absynth, which came up a few years ago. We had a closer look at Abysnth but it wasn't able to deliver the way we wanted it so they were out. We had a close look at Good Technology and then it was acquired quite fast.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise having somebody supporting you when setting it up because you can create a very secure setup. As we are in the defense industry, we wanted a secure setup and used consulting and support to create a good setup. If you create such a setup, a secure setup, you will have a really fine solution.

I rate it an eight out of 10, which is quite good. It is not perfect, but it's on the way to perfect. If there are a few more features and there is a little more advancement, I think it's a very good solution. We have a good solution, satisfied customers within our company. The stability is very good. It is running quite well.