BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite Review

Enables us to protect data by removing it from devices, when we need to

What is our primary use case?

It's corporate. We own devices, and there are BYOD devices nowadays. We're in quite a high-security environment in the finance world, so we have to make sure that we are able to contain our data. UEM and BEMS allow us to be able to remove data from devices, when needed, and protect it.

How has it helped my organization?

The functionality with UEM and BlackBerry Works, the shared calendar, is a massive improvement for us. We've always been asked for that from the early days. The extra security that goes with it is also helpful. We have had some issues, and we are asking for some improvements. But I think the move from Good for Enterprise to BlackBerry Work is positive for us. We're getting very positive feedback on the user experience.

What is most valuable?

Email, obviously; to enable our users to keep in touch with the office. But also we're moving towards a BYOD kind of environment, so it's good that we can offer our users access to their mail but still not infringe on their devices.

What needs improvement?

One issue that is very annoying at that moment, that we're having an argument about with BlackBerry, is the inability to remove the signature automatically from the server. So when I open BlackBerry Work and send an email, the default is to have www.blackberry.com there, which is not great for us. We're having to tell our users that they have to remove that and set their own signature, which is fine generally, but some of our execs don't like doing things like that.

We're also having some issues with classifications at the moment, for emails.

Still implementing.

We've had no issues with stability. We've pretty much got our disaster recovery plan set up, so we're fairly good on that point.

In terms of scalability, everything is fine. We over-engineer and we work very closely with one of their engineering resources who is coming up with the design. We're not having any scalability issues at all.

Brilliant. We have always had really good support from the guys. They've always been good and sometimes we're very demanding. They have been brilliant.

We've had BlackBerry, BES 3.6 was where we started. That went through to where we are now, UEM. We then introduced, from a BYOD point of view, Good Technology, so GFE 7, GFE 8, and we also used MobileIron for some of our corporate devices to protect them. The move to UEM was because we need to make sure that the security is there, so we're moving back towards that now.

We've had BlackBerry around for so long that we're all fairly used to the requirements of it.

Historically, we had it in the bank and we were aware of its capabilities. We did, at one stage, go out and have a look at what else was there, but decided that they weren't actually what we wanted or fit for our purpose. We do constantly look.

What other advice do I have?

I've always backed BlackBerry, in fairness. I've always liked it from a very early stage. My advice would depend on where you are. We're in a very restricted, audited environment, and it does everything we need it to do. If you want to protect your stuff, then it's probably a good way to go.

I think it's a very solid product and people generally like it. We're at very early stages of moving from GFE (Good Technology for Enterprise) to BlackBerry Work, so we're seeing tasks and notes which the general population of the bank hasn't had before. But unfortunately, we're only in a technical pilot at the moment. We go to pre-live user pilot next week, so I could probably give you more feedback then, but everything seems to be fairly good at the moment and people are enjoying it.

It has always worked for us, although I'm slightly biased because I manage it and put it in. But unless there is an outside issue somewhere, like the phone network or the like, it's reliable. I can be out and about and get my emails. They come in quicker than they do to Outlook, so it does everything I need it to do when I'm out on my mobile device.