Blackberry Protect Review

An outstanding product that is pretty spot on and easy to deploy and use

What is our primary use case?

I direct our design and engineering teams, and we craft solutions for on-premises or autonomous networks in the industrial industry, such as oil and gas, water, and manufacturing.

We use this solution as a layered defense for the defense strategy for our on-premises clients. An attractive thing about this solution is that it uses AI official algorithms to not only discover known stuff but also to discover anomalous behavior and things that are out of the ordinary. It is not just signature-based; it is an algorithm or AI and machine learning.

How has it helped my organization?

From an administrative overhead point of view, there is a 75% reduction in administrating the solution.

What is most valuable?

The non-daily requirement to update signatures is the most valuable feature. From a functional point of view, it is pretty spot on. For instance, we compared an algorithm from five years ago to today's algorithm, and it was 98% accurate. It has the ability to detect and mitigate.

In the industrial environment that we work in, there's what we call OT versus IT. You are IT Central, but this is OT. Generally, we don't have the same level of skillset as IT individuals or IT professionals have. This particular product doesn't require you to be a computer scientist to be able to understand its proprietary algorithm and to be able to deploy, use, and work within it. It integrates well with a robust SIEM or SOAR solution, and it plays nice with others. We use other detection solutions like CyberX or site provision with Cisco, and it plays nice. That's one of the things we really liked about it.

What needs improvement?

It could have integration with industrial base HMIS or Human Machine Interfaces Solutions. This is the industrial environment where you have a control center for all the automation that's happening, whether it is oil, gas, or chemical manufacturing. They often have to set up a computer at the back and watch the other stuff to get alerts. In these autonomous or on-premises environments, they often don't have access to email readily. Integration with other industrial solutions, such as HMIS, will allow them to communicate and get an alert that something has been found. This way, they can react to it sooner than having somebody watch the screen and keep checking the screen. Rockwell has its own suite. Similarly, Honeywell has its own suite. There's also an independent HMI/historian solution provider out there called VTSCADA. We actually get asked if we can get it to show up on a screen, which is difficult. Getting those alerts to work within an industrial environment would be a huge plus.

I have been using this solution for about a year and a half.

It has been rock solid. We haven't had any hiccups in terms of compatibilities and server uptime. Everything, such as application and reliability, is there. It is very strong.

It scales extremely well. We're on the low end of the quantity, but it scales up into tens of thousands very easily.

We have the ability to go right into critical because of our partnership level with them. Their support has been exemplary.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Our guys are trained up in it.

What other advice do I have?

They like to see licensing at a higher level. That's not the norm for on-premises economist environments in the industrial industry. If you're an integrator versus an end user, they like to look at the quantity. Even though they like to start at quantities less than a thousand, it is cumulative. I've got a thousand clients at a hundred, so now I've got a 100,000. Therefore, don't let the scalability, where they like to play in tens of thousands, dissuade you from incorporating this product.

It is quite different from the standard signature-based approach to endpoint protection. At first, you're a little worried because you're so used to staying on top of it or having to stay on top of it versus building a level of trust that it is actually working, and I don't need to mother it.

I would rate CylancePROTECT a nine out of ten. I'll never give anybody a ten because that's a perfect world, and we don't live in a perfect world. This rating is based on my experience with Cylance from the onset, learning the product, working with it to roll it out, working independently, and interfacing with the client. It has been very outstanding.

More Blackberry Protect reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Blackberry Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.