Blackberry Protect Review

Good last line of defence with capabilities to detect attacks but needs to reduce false positives

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as the last line of defense for the customer. In regards to network security technologies that focus on protecting the network, the endpoint, if something gets through, someone brings it in, the endpoint protection will actually, as our last line of defense, detect it, prevent it from executing, and in some cases, actually remediate the issue. This solution is the last line of defense within your organization for events such as a breach and it also protects users.

What is most valuable?

In most cases, the solution's ability to detect in the MITRE framework and its ability to be able to detect attacks in any one of seven or eight different areas of the life cycle of an attack is very useful.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to continue to offer better alerts. In particular, around false positives. It needs to reduce them from happening.

I can't speak to the solution lacking any features per se.

In terms of reviewing the product, I've been dealing with it for about four or five years.

The stability isn't something that we measure. We're consultants and we just advise clients on if the solution is protecting them correctly or not. We don't look at stability issues.

As consultants, we don't look at scaling. It's not an aspect of the solution I can comment on.

We don't integrate or set the system up. I couldn't speak to how the deployment process happens, or how easy or hard it is. That's not an aspect of the solution we handle. We have nothing to do with implementing or managing the solution.

We don't handle the implementation process at all or advise clients on it.

We deal with a variety of other solutions in the market. It depends on which our clients are working with. We evaluate their security based on what they have. Sometimes it's Cylance, however, that's not always the case.

What other advice do I have?

We're consultants. We don't have a direct relationship with Cylance. We are working with clients on security, and handle assurance-type work for them. We're not specifically working with Cylance, however, in some cases, we may be providing it from a security review standpoint. We'd look at the client and at the product and ask: Do they have it configured properly? Are they using it properly in their overall security strategy? et cetera.

We're not managing it, we're not integrating it or installing in anything in that. We just look at it from a security review or assessment standpoint and tell the customer whether or not they have it properly implemented based upon what they're trying to accomplish.

Clients may use a hybrid or a cloud deployment model and may have it on various clouds, such as AWS or Azure.

I general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

More Blackberry Protect reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Blackberry Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.