Blackberry Protect Review

Inconsistent stability with a difficult uninstall, although deployment of updates is easy

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for endpoint protection for our external devices and laptops.

What is most valuable?

The deployment of updates is easy.

What needs improvement?

Not having OPTICS doesn't allow us to do any history. We don't have OPTICS, but FortiEDR comes with things like OPTICS, which is nice because we are not able to see more.

OPTICS gives you things that FortiEDR has built in. For Cylance, there is an add-on to do the things that come with that solution.

It would be nice if Cylance didn't separate PROTECT and OPTICS and put them together and made them on the same price point as FortiEDR, and some other ones rather than having to pay extra for something that the others already have built-in, and seen to do better.

It often lets you waive something for the firm or for the whole company and then comes back and blocks the same thing because you have to do the certificate instead of the hash. You are finding yourself having to approve for the same program, the same application, the same file more than once and it's frustrating.

While the deployment of updates is easy, it would be good to have some more information about which version to use, because the versions that are available seem to be outdated.

When you go to the admin section, you will see that you will have the latest update from months ago and a month before that, and a month before that.

I have a hard time believing that there are no more updates in between when there are things that are out all the time. It just doesn't make you feel like you're getting covered or have the best protection, which you should have.

I have been using this solution for two years.

We are using one of the newer versions. I don't always install the updates.

The stability varies. It's not consistent and it's frustrating.

Things that are blocked, you waive and it comes back. It's very frustrating. It doesn't keep up with the machines.

You have a lot of machines and if you reimage a lot you will see many duplicates that you have to export and remove from figuring out which one's the MAC address. It should have an easy way to know that a machine is re-imaged, and not adding to your list of devices.

You end up having all these devices that are no longer being scanned that you have to figure out what they are. It is frustrating.

We have approximately 200 users in our organization. It's for everyone in our accounting firm, who are accountants, auditors, IT, and HR accounting.

We don't have plans to continue using this solution, we are considering other options.

We don't go through technical support directly. We go through a reseller and they take care of it. We have never directly talked to BlackBerry or Cylance about any issues that we have had.

Previously, we had McAfee ePO. We changed to CylaneProtect, a solution that we felt would be a better fit, and that was not managed in-house, on a local server that we used for that. It was time to move on from that.

The initial setup was fine. It's doesn't take a long time to deploy.

Uninstalling is difficult. Sometimes it doesn't remove easily, and that is frustrating.

It would be nice if it had an uninstalled feature within the dashboard, in the SAS part of the application online, because it would do everything itself. Unless it is something that I have missed or that I didn't see.

With FortiEDR you can go in, and you can uninstall from the dash, find the endpoint you right-click, or you click a button, then you choose to uninstall and it pulls it from the machine. You don't have to put in any keys, or anything. It does it from there. I don't believe that Cylance does that, but it would be nice if it did.

We have a team of two, myself and my colleague maintain this solution.

The deployment and implementation were completed in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that they keep in mind what it doesn't do and be open to looking at things that include more and cost less.

I would rate CylanceProtect a four out of ten.

More Blackberry Protect reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Blackberry Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.