Blackboard Review

Cloud-based solution that is flexible and produces detailed reports

What is our primary use case?

Blackboard is our main ally as a learning management system. With this platform, we have managed all of our courses and implemented them in our own platform in order to obtain the statistics of the users.

How has it helped my organization?

Blackboard allows us to manage all our users since it has a very powerful server that supports the platform. For example, we have had courses of up to five thousand users and the software has always been stable. With other LMS products, there were problems with slowness when many users signed up or interacted at the same time.

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is the possibility of creating unlimited subdomains. In this way, we can create customers who need their own platform that is independent of ours. Another very enriching function is the report center panel, which shows very detailed reports concerning actions of the users and teachers, as well as the general progress for each course.

What needs improvement?

The best thing they can do is to improve the templates for mobile phones. Without this application, access to courses using some devices is a little complicated. It would be ideal to create a more responsive or more intuitive template for access from telephones or tablets.

Four years.

It has a very powerful server, which until now has not failed the service even once.

The scalability is unlimited because they have a plan to offer solutions as services and we can create complete platforms or virtual schools to offer them to other clients.

I have used other LMS products, but I had to change platforms because the previous solution did not have the capacity to manage thousands of users in real time. Besides, other LMSs depend on my own server's resources. This is not the case for Blackboard, where I do not have to worry about the technical requirements because they offer all of the servers and services in the cloud.

The ROI depends on the plan you choose. To this point, we have been able to generate an ROI of 50%.

At the beginning, you can choose a basic plan. As your users grow you can buy a more expensive license.

Before choosing this solution we evaluated Moodle, Chamilo, and Canvas.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very robust learning platform that is constantly updated.