BlazeMeter Review

I like the ability to spin up as many load generators as I need, and get statistics on response times and the load generators themselves.

What is most valuable?

I really like the ability to spin up as many load generators as I need, and get statistics on response times and the load generators themselves. BlazeMeter support and flexibility is also hugely valuable.

To accurately test load on a webserver it takes traffic (load) from multiple “load generators”.
A load generator is a machine running load testing software (like Jmeter).
Clearly, one couldn’t accurately test 10 load balanced webservers with traffic from a standard desktop.
If one did and saw performance issues, the most likely source would be the desktop doing the testing, or the connection.
If no performance issues were seen it could be that the desktop was not able to emulate the specified load.

One blind spot of Jmeter is it does not tell the user how many threads their machine can handle. Users need to know how to monitor. Most users don’t, and set the threads higher than the machine can handle.
Blazemeter:

- Handles all that complication and makes using Jmeter simple

- Has expert staff that can point you in the right direction if your tests are not working

- Allows users to select how many load generators (machines running Jmeter) will be used during a given test.

o There are a few different contract options (1 server, 5 servers)

o Custom contracts for any number of servers you need. I really appreciate their flexibility on the contracts.

How has it helped my organization?

Building an in-house group of load generation JMeter servers to load test usually takes time and effort. BlazeMeter makes all that simple.

I have used JMeter for 4 years and BlazeMeter on and off for 2 to 3 years.

There were some minor issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues here. Scalability is one of the wonderful parts of working with BlazeMeter.

Technical support has been great.

I’ve used JMeter from several load generator servers I set up to work together.

Initial setup was easy.

If you don’t see the option you need, just ask them. You’ll be able to get a custom contract. It is not free, but it is a fantastic deal compared to anything else out there.

Most recently I have been using a custom contract with Blazemeter rather than a standard month to month contract. That allows me to pay by test hours times servers used. So I can spin up as many load generators as I need. The statistics on response times and the load generators themselves are standard Blazemeter features available to anyone with a contract. BlazeMeter support has several times helped me figure out what was going on with my tests, that saved me a chunk of time. It's always nice to have some insight from a true Jmeter expert.

We considered setting up our own set of load generation JMeter servers. We also looked at HPE LoadRunner and SoapUI.

What other advice do I have?

BlazeMeter is an easy way to get really accurate results from JMeters that you already have without having to build a set of networked JMeters (e.g., one with the UI running a bunch GUI-less slave machines).