Blue Coat Advanced Web & Cloud Security Review

We have seen a significant reduction in bandwidth consumption using web caching

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases depend on the customer. The requirement may be for HTTP object caching, URL filtering, or website categorization. It also depends on the user's best practice policies.

How has it helped my organization?

As a value-added integrator and distributor, we provide recommendations, installation, and service to all of our customers. We send our customers particular use cases and in return, we are able to set up the policies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the caching technology. It makes the customer's job very simple and reduces bandwidth also.

Other factors that make it the number one choice are web categorization, web filtering, web caching, and bandwidth allocation.

What needs improvement?

Every customer has to perform a manual backup, and automatic backing up is needed. The customers are eagerly waiting for it.

Blue Coat does not immediately support new operating systems.

It would be amazing if the console did not depend on the Java platform. I would like to see it work independently and not highly dependent on Java.

Just over four years.

The solution is very stable. In four years we have not seen any issues with the product.

In terms of scalability, we have not seen any issues. The scalability is very good.

I have done deployments for five hundred users, five thousand users, and even ten thousand users.

We used McAfee before switching to this solution.

The initial setup for this solution is easy. You can configure it within a minute.

Before Blue Coat was obtained by Symantec, they had a deployment portal. It included information on architectures, etc. It's like a playbook. I used all of these documents for the first deployment. After that, for the second deployment, I did it all myself.

Three members of the staff are suitable for maintaining the solution.

The cost is much higher compared to other proxies.

Our licensing costs are yearly, but the customer can choose up to three years.

We evaluated two other products, which were Forcepoint and Websense. We have done a comparison and I have read documents. The price of this solution is a little bit higher than these two products, but we felt that Blue Coat was good.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using schedule-based policies, for example, Monday 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM in the evening, then Blue Coat is the best product to go for.

My advice is that if somebody is using the Blue Coat or Symantec solution, then only use Blue Coat products. They integrate well and you don't need to manage different solutions.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.