Blue Coat Advanced Web & Cloud Security Review

Easy to change categories and has many ways to filter

What is our primary use case?

Blue Coat allows access to some sites and blocks other sites, depending on your configuration. I look at high risk configuring. It lets me allow some applications and block others.

We use the on-premises version.

What is most valuable?

The categorize formula is very helpful. Previously, we used the Cisco solution, where we could not choose how sites are categorized. Blue Coat updated a lot of sites I categorized. There are other valuable features as well, such as block by location, block by IP, allow by IP, and block by user name, domain, or group domain.

What needs improvement?

Java does not completely work. We are dependent on Java and when the current console does not run with Java, it is a problem for us.

I would also like to seem them change the interface.

We've been using this solution for three months.

For now, it's stable. We have done some troubleshooting and the like.

I hope this solution is scalable because we already implemented this system for more than one client.

We have about 10,000 users. They are in many departments: accounting, business, IT, etc.

We have three people that maintain the system because the first implementation is already online, so the troubleshooting goes to the administration. The daily work is managed in two versions. The first one has many changes. The other is fine to handle day by day, with actions such as add user, remove user, etc.

Previously, I used Cisco IronPort web filtration.

I switched because this is a newer technology and this product or system comes with a lot of upgrades. I use the most updated technology and solution to cover my system.

The initial setup was straightforward. It has taken a lot of time because we were waiting to have lines come from outside my country since we are working with virtual machines for the first time. Changing from physical to virtual online machines took a while.

We used the central management, which is easy to use and transfer from books to online, or from online to books.

We used a vendor to implement, who supports Blue Coat in my country.

I also weighed Forcepoint and Trend Micro as other possible vendors.

What other advice do I have?

If you need web services, this product covers your needs.