Blue Coat ProxySG [EOL] Review

Now we are able to inspect full SSL traffic.

What is most valuable?

• Granular security policy
  • Ability to use as a Forward or Reverse Proxy
  • ICAP integration, high performance SSL
  • High performance web acceleration
  • Integrates well with other vendors

How has it helped my organization?

The ProxySG allowed us to inspect full SSL traffic now without breaking a sweat. No more outages due to capacity, or DDoS.

What needs improvement?

Blue Coat advertises the ProxySG as a WAF, but it really isn’t. I would like the ProxySG to have full WAF features that will detect XSS, SQLi, CSFR, etc.

I've used it for over 10 years.

The policy is very complex, and their CPL code requires some time to learn it. Once it was inpProduction, no issues were encountered with the migration.

The ProxySG is a strong workhorse when compared to other proxy vendors.

We had a load balancer in front of the ProxySG’s. But for customers who do not have a load balancer, they may run into scalability issues.

Blue Touch support is top notch and very responsive when I opened service requests.

Their support engineers are very knowledgeable of the products. I never had to get my service request escalated because it was immediately solved every time.

We previously used Network Appliance NetCache proxies, but Blue Coat acquired the NetCache series and phased it out. We reviewed a NetCache replacement and it was determined the ProxySG was the better candidate for use.

It was somewhat complex at first, but was able to migrate successfully because of rigorous testing before going into production.

It was implemented in-house.

Blue Coat products are very expensive, but definitely worth a comparative analysis when choosing a proxy replacement. We looked at NetScaler, F5, and WebSense. Incorporating either one of those vendors required a full re-architecture of our front end which was not an option due to our complex network architecture.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to get the proper sized appliance, better to be over than undersized just in case of spikes in your network.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, F5, Riverbed and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.