Blue Prism Cloud Review

Very secure and good new features but isn't really user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution due to the cost. It lowers the cost of maintenance for the organization.

What is most valuable?

Last year that Blue Prism introduced a community version, and have really opened up their services. It's been really great for the company.

Over the last six or seven months, there have been a lot of new developments on the product.

It is very secure if you are going for complex implementations. I've not done it, but in terms of our feasibility studies and POCs, I find Blue Prism more secure than others, even Automation Anywhere and UiPath. I've not studied that area, however, Blue Prism seems more secure if you go for very complex areas.

What needs improvement?

There isn't much of a difference between UiPath and Blue Prism. However, if we want to customize, Blue Prism is not that developer-friendly.

UiPath is much more flexible and easier for people (who are not in IT) to use. I wouldn't call Blue Prism user-friendly. It's one of its downfalls. They would benefit from having drag and drop functionality, for example. It would make them a strong competitor in the space. There needs to be less reliance on coding for customization, similar to Microsoft's Power Automate.

UiPath also has a stronger community presence. Blue Prism is new to community versions and they're still building their user base. They came pretty late to the game.

The solution needs to make it easier in terms of maintaining the bots.

It's a bit hard to maintain the product. UiPath is much easier in that sense.

OCR tends to work better with UiPath, as opposed to Blue Prism.

During COVID, people have realized that they do want a more secure solution, and one with good AI and OCR capabilities. All of these items are things Blue Prism should continue to develop.

I've been using the solution since I came to this company, which was already using it. I've been using Blue Prism for about a year and a half now.

Our customers have been generally happy with the stability of Blue Prism.

Mostly, the solution can scale, however, we do find that if customers want to upgrade or get more options, UiPath makes for a more user-friendly option. It's not as complicated to adjust things when you need to.

Technical support is okay. It's good as long as you are signed into a maintenance agreement and you're paying. Our customers have been satisfied with their level of service.

We also use UiPath. We use the two solutions together, although the organization is moving towards UiPath and away form Blue Prism, as UiPath is more user friendly and easier to handle on may levels.

The solution is more or less the same to set up, whether you choose the cloud or on-premises. It's not exactly straightforward. You need some know-how.

The deployment depends upon the scale of the company and the environment. We started with a really small automation of small workflows. RPA generally doesn't take too long. Otherwise, it'll not solve the real purpose. With Blue Prism, if you take a small hypothetical example of trade operations, if they want to automate a work flow, it would take a little over one to two weeks at most.

If you include the testing, everything more or less can be done within three weeks to one month, if you're not going to worry about too many complex items like OCR, etc. If you include those things, then it will definitely take more time because testing takes a while. When there are users involved, you need to give them a lot of instructions. It could get pretty complex.

You do need to pay extra for customer service.

What other advice do I have?

I previously used Kofax, at my other company. The previous organization never went to the cloud, so it was pretty small scale.

I used both Blue Prism and UiPath in tandem. The organization is moving more towards UiPath, due to some sort of service agreement, so Blue Prism isn't being used as much as it used to be. We don't have a partnership with Blue Prism.

Blue Prism is the pioneer in RPA. They came early to it. Automation is there, and other features came later.

The only thing is that they were not that flexible. In terms of people getting to know the product well, it takes a lot of time. That's the only thing that Blue Prism failed to do initially, was make it user friendly. As a product, personally, I like Blue Prism.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. Blue Prism just isn't as flexible compared to other solutions, which is why I didn't mark it quite so high. The security is quite good, though. If it relied on less code customization, more drag and drop functionality, and was more user friendly, I'd rate it much higher.

More Blue Prism Cloud reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with UiPath
Learn what your peers think about Blue Prism Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.