BMC FootPrints Service Core Review

What is our primary use case?

As a tool to control asset management, internal and external service tickets, change management workflows, and contract management. Change management, in particular, we use to meet different audit standards, such as FISMA and FedRAMP.

How has it helped my organization?

Having a single tool with all the necessary functions in one place has improved efficiency. Having a one stop shop for linked assets and tickets has improved end user adoption and led to a reduction in phone/email tickets.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create custom home views for different teams has been very valuable. I also like the fact that FootPrints is a relational database, so every item in the database can be linked to another. This helps create history and audit trails for each CI.

What needs improvement?

There are still a few odd issues in FootPrints 12.x, which are frustrating. A maximum of 1000 items is returned on any search result, so larger queries are relatively useless in an environment with many tickets, assets, etc. On the admin side, this is understood, but management does not like it.

A second issue is that hyphens are not allowed in the quick search bar.  This has created a problem in our environment where we use hyphens in our asset names.

Three to five years.

One upgrade went poorly, occasionally Tomcat services needed to be restarted.  Realistically, no less stable than any other application or product.

None.

We have a partner for Tier I support, but I have used Tier II BMC support a few times. They were very responsive and recreated my environment in their lab to support me.

Previously used ManageEngine IT360, a now defunct product.  It was very buggy and support was lacking.

Yes, it was involved, but not complicated.

We used Flycast partners to assist with the implementation. They were extremely knowledgeable.

Cost was on par with other service desk products, and well below Remedy, while still being a BMC product.