BMC Helix ITSM Review

What is most valuable?

• CMDB is very useful and it is used to manage client and non-client CI
  • Freedom to use your ow way to integrate other systems with BMC Remedy
  • Not too difficult to customize workflows

How has it helped my organization?

Using Service Request Management creates a Change Request and then sends, via a web service, a request to start a job on VMware to automatically create a server. When the job is finished and server is created it send back the name of the server back to remedy and automatically creates the CI in CMDB and create relationships. In this way we created an automatically way of requesting a server.

What needs improvement?

In 8.1.02 the Atrium core in the Midtier should be improved. It is using flex technology which is not so reliable. I think in v9 it was changed the technology.

I have been using this product for almost eight years.

There were no major issues with the deployment.

There have been no major issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

The first level is not so skilled . If you manage to go to second level they are good.

There was no previous solution in place.

It was a complex one, because our company was bought by another one and both companies had different versions of remedy installed which needed to be unified. The complexity was from the level of customizations each instance of Remedy needed.

We did it via a vendor. It would be good to create a knowledge in hour which knowledge should be transferred from the vendor side.

I'm not involved in this area.

What other advice do I have?

The BMC Remedy products are reliable and cover all the ITIL processes. An advice would be to try to keep as low as possible the level of customizations.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment

author avatar
Top 5Consultant

Hi there,
Yes, 9.X version has removed the Flex UI which proved troublesome from various perspectives as far as I know.
I partially agree with your comments about first and second level support people. It depends to whom you get routed to - varies a lot from agent to agent.

First level support is not necessarily technically weak but their mandate unfortunately seems to be to obtain a bit more time by asking variety of logs and once shared, then identify some more gaps in logs or config files and again ask for more logs or to reproduce cases etc.
Once this initial stage is crossed then only the next level of experts will look at you. This isn't such a desirable thing.

Basically, BMC has a separate relatively much more responsive and higher quality support service which is called as PREMIER SUPPORT. So ideally they would want any large customer to take such service and immediate response is key feature of that. In Normal service, you are just one among several customers in a queue while Premier is like dedicated priority service just for you. So normal support can never be as responsive as that - otherwise there can be no point in Premier!

Having said that, I would also like to say that support given by BMC is still far more responsive than many top tier software vendors in my experience!