BMC Helix ITSM Review

The most valuable features are its integration and development capacity.

Valuable Features:

Its integration and development capacity. Its ease of use and implementation, assuming you have hired the right kind of resources for that.

Improvements to My Organization:

It’s a perfect tool to track any kind of event or service. Developing workflow within this application is quick (again with the right resources) and for the most part I have experienced trouble free runs with this product in live environments.

Room for Improvement:

As a developer and a architect, there is very little I might feel a need for to do what I need to do for 99% of the cases. I may wish however for this product to mature a little more on the web front-end which I believe it has on version 9 which I am yet to be exposed to. Also, I would wish for it to remove a limitation I came across with in the past (2 versions ago) on web services on some constructs that the Remedy Web service engine does not handle all too well without modifying the WSDL itself.

Use of Solution:

Over 17 years ever since it was Remedy Corporation right though its acquisition by Peregrine and then BMC Software.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We have had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

We have had no issues with the scalability.

Customer Service could use some improvement – while they are technically very good, some of the agents have poorer communication skills than others.

Previous Solutions:

I have seen other solutions like ServiceNow which is cheaper than Remedy, but I did not feel that it had the same robust capabilities as the BMC Remedy product.

Initial Setup:

It's straightforward for someone who knows what he or she is doing.

Implementation Team:

I have implemented this product at multiple sites.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Remedy has third-party vendor products, some of them even free that can help you manage licensing costs through usage monitoring.

Other Advice:

It might cost a few more bucks than its competitors like ServiceNow, but it certainly has a better technological edge over ServiceNow. I have heard of some shops that moved from Remedy to ServiceNow to take advantage of ServiceNow's smaller TCO, but then had several issues and problems with being able to successfully implement and use ServiceNow exactly how they would have wished to use it. Remedy has a motto of your business your way which is very fitting since that is exactly what it gives you.