BMC Helix ITSM Review

Smart IT reports and tracks ongoing issues. The tool has created more layers of bureaucracy.

What is our primary use case?

It is the enterprise ticketing system at KU Health Systems. We use it for incident management, asset management, knowledge management, problem management, release management, and change management. There are also several tools, such as SCCM, and other integration solutions (e.g., TLS) which ingest the data and give the executives a flash dashboard to look at. The idea is to reduce downtime and expedite recovery time.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made some improvements. However, it also created more layers of bureaucracy. I like the segregation of duties. I like narrowing the focus of each module, and having independent teams working on specific tasks. What I do not care about is having "Module Owners", which serve as a lead on the module instead of having a Remedy administrator/developer.

Now that Smart IT is rolled out to HR, and more service requests are being developed, we are getting to the point of automation and self-service. The idea is reduce the number of tickets related to day-to-day operations, so we can focus on planning.

What is most valuable?

Incident Management is easily the most commonly used module that we have. It is helpful knowing the ins and outs of ITIL.

Smart IT and the phone app are easily the most valuable features in reporting and tracking ongoing issues.

What needs improvement?

Most On Demand customers can tell you the daily struggles. There are some bugs which magically fix themselves.

We also have experienced outages, because some other customers did something on the same cluster that we share.