Board Review

It has saved time in our budgeting and planning processes, but needs more flexibility around design and formatting

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a few different things:

• Our budget
  • Sales reporting
  • Performance tracking for some of our operations' groups.

In the last year or two, we have seen a ramp up of usage. Other than some performance issues, we have been having some pretty good success with the product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely saved us time, especially in our budget and planning processes. A lot of time was previously spent manually manipulating information. Now, the information is there, so they can actually look at it and utilize it for forecasting and planning.

What is most valuable?

The drill down is good for people who have that high level view, because they can do some analysis based on it.

I also think the visuals are good; being able to get away from Excel and automate some things. Thus, people are not spending all their time manipulating manual data, and being able to pull from several data sources. Therefore, we have come up with some nice views.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility in terms of the visuals. Also, some more flexibility around the design and the formatting, because a lot of times the hard sell is to people who have a certain view in mind and we can't necessarily replicate it. In BOARD, even though it is better in terms of the process, they still want to change look and feel, e.g., colors, etc.

It is pretty stable. The only issue that we seem to have is with the performance, which with version 11, it looks like they might have addressed it.

The more that we use it in our company, the more other departments are looking to use it. I think it has the ability to keep up with this growth.

My analysts have used the technical support. Sometimes they have felt like they did not receive the answer that they needed, or you have to go and upgrade in order to address a problem.

It was set up right as I started with the company.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know what you want before you start having someone work on building and designing something. A lot of times in the past (for us), people had what they thought was an idea of what they wanted, we would do all this work, then they would look at it and say, "No, that's not what we want." Then, we would have to start from scratch again. Definitely spend the time upfront to map everything out.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Availability
  • Good communication
  • Good technical knowledge, but also being able to speak to non-technical people.