Bomgar Remote Support Review

We like the flexibility to have a client on a computer log in on demand or give someone a link to log into their computer.

What is most valuable?

We love the ability to customize our remote support page. You can add your logo and have your tech names on the page, so they can just click on the name instead of putting in a PIN. You can display whatever text you want. You can add a survey.

How has it helped my organization?

This gave us the LogMeIn pro and LogMeIn rescue ability to each tech. We also have the ability to share our screen to improve training.

What needs improvement?

With Linux, we had issues with Ubuntu specifically. We installed agents on the machines and after placing them on another network after being installed, they wouldn't connect back to us. We would need to install another agent. This isn't an issue with Windows machines. This never really got resolved, so we mostly use it on Windows now. If they could figure it out, that would be great.

Another issue is that some windows lock up and you can’t do anything, if you didn't install as an admin, or if you connect to a non-admin user and an administrative screen comes up. For example, if we click on Control Panel, it freezes until the local user closes that screen. That's not an issue I ever encountered with other products.

We've been using Bomgar for about five years.

The only time we had any issues is with this product is that it is a little wonky on Linux, but we don’t have many Linux boxes we remote into that way, so it’s not much of an issue.

I did not encounter any scalability issues. The hardware is virtual and license updates are done through an upload to our web page.

I would say it's better than most.

We used LogMeIn.

We started using Bomgar for cost reasons and also there is no "man in the middle" like LogMeIn. Customers were more willing to use it because we maintain the servers.

It has LDAP authentication.

It integrates with Dell Kace.

We can use it from anywhere.

The setup was pretty straightforward for this type of product.

We really like that the cost of ownership is way cheaper than LogMeIn or some of the others. It is a higher price up front but it is much cheaper over the long run. It is based on how many techs are using it at one time and not how many techs are in the system.

If you have users that don’t use it much, you may not want a license for them. You can consider one or two licenses for a department.

We looked at LogMeIn, TeamViewer and GoToMyPC.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a small shop, it may not be for you because of the up-front cost. There are other solutions that will meet your needs that are cheaper. Otherwise, this is overall a really good product and meets our needs.