Bomgar Remote Support Review

Live chat enabled a new service desk support channel, integrating with our Service Management toolset

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our Corporate ICT support offering, meaning our customers receive improved support from our front-line and second-line support teams.

What is most valuable?

• Live chat enabled a new support channel into our service desk, integrating with our Service Management toolset.
  • The meet-in-the-middle remote control functionality bypassed a lot of network restrictions that hampered our previous solution, enabling a far wider reach to our end-users.
  • Mobile device support option - While we are not currently making use of this, it is one that is on our roadmap to introduce and will be valuable for a heavily mobile workforce.

What needs improvement?

The Bomgar representative console could do with modernising. The Web rep console introduced is a marked improvement, but is currently not at feature parity with the thick client. This is being worked on.

Three to five years.

The service is based on hardware appliances and they have been robust and stable.

We run with an active/passive configuration with one of the appliances in our primary datacentre running as active, and a second being kept in sync as a warm standby, should an issue occur.

The appliances are able to handle thousands of connections without issue. We have not experienced any issues with performance due to load.

Technical support is always good when engaged. We do not need to contact often. We mainly engage to answer questions regarding upgrades to the service.  Always helpful and responsive. Account management is always on hand.

We utilised Novell (now Micro Focus) ZENworks’ in-built Remote Control tool. We wanted the additional functionality offered by Bomgar, the full session audit, the chat integration. We experienced NAT issues with ZENworks Remote Control (Novell/Micro Focus have improved this by using a Remote Control proxy service).

Straightforward and handheld all the way by Bomgar Professional Services. The most complex element was providing a certificate to Bomgar to embed in the code to be installed on the appliance, but this was quick and relatively straightforward.

Setting up active/passive configuration was fully documented and easy. Our use of a load balancer in front of the service was assisted by Bomgar and done without issue.

Pricing is reasonable for what the service is offering. If it is looked at from a purely remote control perspective then it might appear expensive, but it is the wider functionality that should be considered too.

We did a competitive tender. Bomgar was the only vendor in the market with the requirements we were looking for.

What other advice do I have?

Set up a full project that looks to implement the full suite of functionality. Maybe phase the implementation to get the key functionality in place, and then look to utilise the more advanced functionality. Train the support analysts in the use of the tool. Bomgar provides training with the purchase, which allows your team to become Bomgar certified.

I rate it an eight out of 10. It has enabled the introduction of a new communication channel (live chat) to our ICT service desk with integration directly into our Service Management toolset. The remote control solution has enabled a wider reach to our end-users. Quick scripts have enabled innovation in our support offering.