Box Review
Provides file sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices.

What is most valuable?

• File sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices: I work on many projects that are multi-organizational, such as with customers, suppliers, or acquisitions.
  • Being able to securely invite, share folders, do version control, and comment on files so quickly and easily without using unsecure large email attachments is a major productivity gain.

How has it helped my organization?

We have complex bids with tight deadlines. This involves partners/suppliers and key staff who can work offline, such as on the train, and then sync up their files later when they have WIFI coverage. This allows faster responses and stronger collaboration.

What needs improvement?

Tasks and comments could be easier to see, report, search, and manage.

I think it would benefit from a task full screen with list and sort functionality, then similarly a comments screen with list/filter/sort.

So, rather than looking at individual documents and drilling down to see where comments have been added, you could, for example, view all comments added to documents in a specific folder since a set date, such as last week.

This would be particularly useful on collaboration projects, as you could easily, on the first page, see all of the comments in that project folder. You could, based on you interest, click through to the document where there was a related comment.

We have used this solution for seven years.

There were no stability issues. It was consistently reliable.

There were no scalability issues. Many GBs are stored with 100 guests/clients/suppliers without any issues.

I hardly ever require support. It just works, which is one of the strongest things about it.

We evaluated SharePoint. It was cumbersome to manage, configure, and add new projects. Frankly, it is poor for adding external partners, for syncing, and using across multiple devices (iPhone, iPad, and laptops).

The setup was simple. The only area to learn, as it is different from Active Directory, is how security inherits down folders.

It is expensive per head, as you need the enterprise license to get full security and tools. So negotiate a discount!

We evaluated SharePoint and Dropbox.

What other advice do I have?

Separate internal folders from externally shared ones and lock down the internal security so that staff can't invite non-domain users to internal folders; nice, clear demarcation.

2 visitors found this review helpful

2 Comments

Lea GoldbergerConsultantTOP 10

You mention why you prefer Box over Sharepoint. Why did you rule out Dropbox?

04 June 17
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

Is Box good for enterprise?

07 July 17