Box Review
There is no easier way to publish a document to the web.

What is most valuable?

• IFRAME Widget (To publish documents on another web page). Most of the best CMSs don’t offer any good DMS features. Not even many products as an add-on or plug-in. So why not take one of the best DMS (box) on the market and integrate (embed) the functionality for publishing public documents? Or even better, integrate box as a secure extranet for your business.
  • Office Integration. The full integration into the Microsoft Office products is just perfect.
  • Versioning (Version History). This feature allows previous versions of files to be stored all in one place, allowing you to quickly find and restore previous versions of your content. Or even better, real-time co-authoring in Box for Office Online
  • Document Preview. Previewing and collaborating without ever having to open a desktop application or download the content to a computer.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no easier way to publish a (new) document to the web (via the IFRAME widget). Just put the file in the right place!

What needs improvement?

Data privacy, regarding where to store your data: Offering several transparent(!) options (where to store my data and whether to sync back or not and where to sync) regarding the local law situations (USA, EU, Switzerland!) would increase the credibility of a US based company (after NSA ‘snooping’).
In Switzerland, many firms of different sectors face strict regulations around where their files are stored, leaving them with a limited set of options, and keeping many of these enterprises stuck on legacy infrastructure. Box Zones is a good initiative or start, but its not perfect at all.

I have used Box from 2012 until today.

We have not had stability problems.

We have not had scalability problems.

I rate support 8/10.

We used Dropbox, SugarSync, and Google Drive.

Setup was pretty much straightforward.

A business account has a minimum of three users. If you are more than three people in-house, go for the Enterprise version. All the external users are free of charge.

We looked at Dropbox, ownCloud, Google Drive.

What other advice do I have?

Check first all the possibilities where to store the data. (Where are the data servers located and how are they synchronized/mirrored.)

1 visitor found this review helpful