How has it helped my organization?
- Provided greater visibility to IT regarding necessary actions on its governance and relationship with suppliers and business areas. In the previous scenario, IT was surrounded by tools, but did not possess a vision focused on quality of service delivery and end-to-end. With the adoption of CA APM, we have accurate mapping, we're updated on what supports each business service and what, when, where an incident occurs and how it affects the business.
- Regained credibility of IT's role as a driving force for improvements result in greater business performance. In the previous scenario, IT was surrounded by tools, without any integration which forced us to dispense resources with a late result and sometimes without solving the issue. With the adoption of CA APM, there was a change in the relationship of the areas of IT, its own role and value to the success of the business.
What is most valuable?
The features which were instrumental in our choice of CA APM include:
- The options that we have to create use cases providing synthetic vision when applicable to the needs of the business
- The ability to accomplish the identification of the root cause of problems with applications in drill-down level by integrating the suite with tools for managing and monitoring.
- The existence of components for collecting information from other platforms and applications.
What needs improvement?
From my perspective, as I had the opportunity to evaluate CA APM compared to other vendors, one of the improvements we highlighted which would be necessary to improve the targeting interface is to make it more user-friendly and current.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We selected CA APM as opposed to other solutions in the market because it has a solid install base and is notorious for integration with other products including monitoring platforms, service desk and ERPs. We had the challenge of promoting a radical change of posture of the IT organization from reactive to proactive. One of the biggest factors was that the impact was a heterogeneous IT environment!
How was the initial setup?
It was a simple initial configuration. In order to minimize impacts on the operations of the business, a strategy was adopted taking into account the application of low-impact stretching forward to the greatest impact. During this process there were continuous disclosure processes and changes to management which enriched the lessons learned that contributed significantly to the achievement of success.
What about the implementation team?
The implementation was carried out by the CA team. We had difficulty finding professionals to deploy and maintain the solution in Brazil.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
I also evaluated AppDynamics, BMC Software, Compuware - Dynatrace and Microsoft – SCOM Avicode
What other advice do I have?
To have a proper result, consider:
- Spend time to do a proper mapping of your business processes, interfaces, dependencies carried out and the support (IT). In certain situations we are faced with a fragile and inadequate monitoring which doesn't amount to any APM!
- Any APM tool will not perform a miracle, it will only be an instrument with other existing tools, which should have processes and people behind them to reach the desired results. In our case, success occurred only when there was a fusion of interests and efforts of the areas of IT infrastructure and systems development.
This is a very particular vision of the existing IT environment in Brazil, however one can not generalize based on this.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.