Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Review

The pro-active alerting works really well. Any AMBER/RED status alerts are checked instantly by our 24/7 support teams.

What is most valuable?

• Proactive alerting is one of the key elements of APM and works really well. The ability to detect problems before they become widespread high severity incidents is critical when you are managing production systems. All of our APM is visible to our global support operations centres, and each service is represented by a RAG summary alert button. Any AMBER/RED status alerts are checked instantly by our 24/7 support teams.
  • Ease of deployment
  • Product stability

How has it helped my organization?

APM is the tool used by all support areas to monitor Java application and infrastructure performance. We have standardised support for the services running on the Java platform into one tool.

What needs improvement?

Dynamic instrumentation, at the moment, I think it is a bit clunky to use and it should be available outside the transaction tracer. It can only be enabled during a transaction trace session. Ideally it would be nicer if this could be done via the Investigator view, and the available options are shown with a right click. That way they could be done without having to invoke a transaction trace session.

I've used it since 2004.

No issues encountered.

No issues, it's one of the main strengths of the product.

No issues, the product has evolved to increase scalability on existing infrastructure which is very good.

Excellent, really top quality always.

Same as customer service, top quality.

No, but we have retired similar solutions in favour of APM, e.g. Tivoli.

Straightforward, but we had professional services from the vendor to guide us as well.

Combined, and the vendor team was top quality.

It's not easy to quantify as the product is used to prevent mission critical services from going down. We can’t really put a figure on it.

Two full time employees are needed to manage the whole operation, which covers all production environments and two test environments.

Not before, but we have evaluated others since, such as AppDynamics, Optier, Dynatrace and others.

What other advice do I have?

• Stay close to the vendor guidelines at all time
  • Don’t customise it too much
  • Always patch
  • Join the user community
More Broadcom DX Application Performance Management reviews from users