Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Review

For me, the transaction trace functionality is the most valuable feature. I would like to see additions to the graphics of metrics.

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

We are using APM for troubleshooting and because of this product, the delay to solve and to fix issues has been reduced by 40% on average. We also use the APM data to analyze and predict if an application will work.

For us, the application is a new eye on the same data. Its quality and the way we access it is going to make the difference between an application you keep using and an application you won't. There are a lot of DevOps methodologies to improve the time to market and to deploy applications quicker. Sometimes it's not enough because at the end, the application expands some issues and the isolation of a root cause is quite complicated. We analyze about 3,000 incidents and predictions, classify them, choose our toolbox, including APM tools (the CA APM solution), and we are able to predict, to anticipate incidents and to assess a risk for an application to go live.

What is most valuable?

An application is quite complicated in the environment of a software reliability engineer, because our applications are like a black box. Thanks to CA APM we are able to transform this black box to a gray box by using the transaction trace functionality services. For me it's the most valuable service of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The product displays some graphics and sometimes we want to have some different metrics in the same graphic but it doesn't display in the same scale, so it's quite complicated to see the metrics. If the product would be able to manage a double scale, it would be perfect.

We measure the limit of a solution by the number of users. The application is developed in Java and only 10 to 15 users can connect to the application. It's quite a limit for massive deployment in a huge company like Orange.

Our scalability is great because you can add servers. It works.

I don't use support, I do everything myself.

It was the only tool in 2006 to provide the transaction trace feature. As mentioned before, it transforms an application from a black box to a gray box, that's why we knew that we needed Introscope (now CA APM).

It was quite easy. The solution is easy to deploy and we had the support of a vendor team.

We deployed it on 5 or 6 applications and now it's deployed for over 200 applications.

More Broadcom DX Application Performance Management reviews from users
2 Comments

author avatarRandall Hinds
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Agreed on all points, but not seeing siginificant improvement or enhancement since 2006. CA is great at acquiring market leading capabilities; only wish they were half as good at keeping that lead (as noted by Gartner's APM MQ).

author avatarMarketing at a tech company with 10,001+ employees

Here's a recent video about how CA is taking a fresh approach towards APM than it has in the past with our new release of CA APM 10 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjgZbfKWyVI). There's also several ITCS reviews posted on the new TeamCenter feature in APM 10, which we encourage you to read.