Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Review

Good visibility and monitoring that is easy to use, but the configuration could be simplified

What is our primary use case?

We are a network operation center. We measure the performance of the system.

We monitor the network and the application performance for any degradation in the performance of the system.

If it is down then we need to get notified very quickly so that we can inform the consulting team to resolve the issue.

We also have to inform the management of the incident management process, and the customer response team to notify the customer's agents.

What is most valuable?

I like that it gives you a wide range of data where you can see the application outage response from concurrent locations and the number of stalled jobs.

I like these variant features that are present.

It's quite easy to understand.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't have a proper database, and the configuration is very difficult.

Broadcom APM has two solutions. One is the infrastructure monitoring and the other is the application monitoring.

The infrastructure monitoring is not very user-friendly. When it migrates the application APM tool, the configuration it's on an individual basis. There is no template that you can apply to all of the related servers or applications. You have to configure one by one and set the thresholds, set the periods, and the monitoring times. Everything needs to be configured manually, which is pretty bad, it's not good.

The main feature that I am expecting to be included in this solution is the template for the configuration. Also, the UAM tool should be more user-friendly.

They should have the proper database setup where we can change the values on the backend. We don't have that option, it is mostly XML-based data files that can't be read.

I have been working with Broadcom DX Application Performance Management for almost two years.

We are not using the latest version. We are using version 10.7

There are a couple of issues in terms of stability.

Sometimes, the interlinking between APM and UAM doesn't happen regularly. You need to restart other services, which is not convenient.

Technical support is good, but you don't always get a solution that works. It seems to be more of a trial and error process. At times you will be told that the issues will be resolved in the next issue, but it doesn't.

They respond immediately, and the communication is good.

We are currently doing a POC with AppDynamics.

It's more or less straightforward.

You deploy the agent based on the type of framework, whether it is Java or, .NET.

You deploy it and reset the services.

Pricing is not my area because I am a technical developer, technical engineer who coordinates the different teams but I know the pricing.

It is definitely expensive for what we get, but there isn't an alternate option at the moment. We can't really compare with other solutions.

I have evaluated other solutions to understand the market and which applications were leading.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend this solution.

I don't have enough experience with AppDynamics but from what I have researched on YouTube and other sites, it seems that Appdynamics is definitely better than Broadcom.

If they don't have anything in place, I can recommend Broadcom products, such as UAM and APM. It's easy but the configuration requires a lot to be done.

I would rate Broadcom DS Application Performance Management a seven out of ten.

10.7
More Broadcom DX Application Performance Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Dynatrace
Learn what your peers think about Broadcom DX Application Performance Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.