Broadcom Service Virtualization Review

In addition to RESTful calls, it provides a range of other virtualization options.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of CA Service Virtualization is that overall, it is a system-based product for virtualizing the services. There are many tools that offer RESTful calls. However, with this product, we have many other options such as database service virtualization, mainframe virtualization and other wide range of virtualization options.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of benefits of this solution but I will give you the top benefit from my experience. Since I am from the testing team, I have to test a particular service and the service needs to be developed either by a third party or I am dependent on my development team to complete the service development, only then I can start my testing process. However, with CA Service Virtualization, what I can do is I can start my testing from Scrum 1. I can do this by grabbing details from the developer in my team or the third-party service and ask for sample request responses. Using these sample request responses, I can create a virtual service and then no longer am I dependent on any third party or a developer for my testing process.

The only thing is that I create the service, deploy the virtual service and then use it for my testing; it's that simple.Thus it saves a lot of my time and if I am using any third-party services, then it saves me money as well.

What needs improvement?

This is what I have spoken to the CA people as well, I would like them to include mainframe testing within this tool.

Right now, we can do service virtualization but there is no mainframe testing feature in this tool such as batch processing, etc.; it is the feature that I need.

It is pretty stable. The service is available 24/7.

It is pretty scalable.

They have some cool technical support. What happens is that when we are using the features of CA Service Virtualization, then if we are facing any issues, they have technical support for the same. Based on the complexity of the issue, they can tell us what can be fixed or they will give us a workaround for the same.

I was not involved in the initial setup of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

For me, the number one criteria while selecting a vendor are the features of the product. The next factor involved is how other clients are making use of it because we cannot afford to spend time to find out new features or bugs in the tool. So, these are really important factors and I would like to make sure it fits our needs.

Creating a virtual service is a matter of ten minutes. It depends on the complexity of the service, like the mainframe virtualization such as CICS or database virtualization, where there are some agents involved that take a day or two. It is simple. The only thing is that the developer of the service should have some technical idea involved as to how the service works and finding the right URL. That is important.

More Broadcom Service Virtualization reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Parasoft, Micro Focus and others in Service Virtualization. Updated: June 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.