Broadcom Test Data Manager Review

We use most of the test matching features in our testing processes

What is our primary use case?

We use a lot of creating data mods and test matching features. We did establish the subsetting cloning process as well, but based on the client requirements. Creating data mods and using test matching features are something which we have found fits our purpose. We use most of the test matching features in our testing processes and also the integration with App Test is something we heavily use.

What is most valuable?

We can always get different sets of data and obtain the most recent data. They have production refreshers, where we can get data subsets of that data and to do our testing. We can also lock it down for a particular user's test or generate data. E.g., if the data is not there, there are multiple forms and variables through which data can go through and so we can generate it.

When I run my App Test, I can directly connect with TDM. I can publish all my data into one table in TDM,  then run my App Test directly. Essentially, my one test runs like 100 sets of data, I just click one test and it runs with 100 sets of data.

I like the integration a lot. We also use the test matching feature and the ability to make and find data.

What needs improvement?

The relationship between cables needs to be added.

A lot of research, data analysis, and work needs to be done on the source system in the tool which requires a data expert. This tool definitely requires a senior person to work on this issue, as it might be a challenge for a tester.

There have been major upgrades in the last couple of years. There was a stability issue, when I started to work on it. After we upgraded to 4.0, a lot of these problems were solved and there were advanced features, as well. With 4.0, the product is now really stable, and working fine.

The stability issue was that we used to log in and see errors. We had to work around them. For example, we would log through the admin, then run some queries, and log back in again. After the upgrade was done, everything now appears to be fine.

When we publish a lot data into the target, sometimes it is not able to handle it. What we do normally is we create the data margins of the source and we try to publish short sets of data into the target. Many times the publish will fail. I think the reason is because of huge sets of data that we publish. I am not sure if it is the tool issue, but I have seen this a lot of times before, where it is not able to publish a huge set of data (thousands and thousands of sets of data). With a few sets, it works. When we try to publish a lot of data, every time there is a publish error. Though, I have not tried it lately, we have seen this before.

Tech support for TDM is fine. I have logged maybe one or two issues for TDM. Most of our issues are for App Test.

We did not use another solution before TDM.

The setup was pretty straightforward.

Know all the data requirements before buying this product. There are a lot of features for this tool, which may or may not be useful to a particular company. Make sure of what your requirements for your data are.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend this product, because of the vast variety of data it provides for testing and its different features, like subsetting and cloning. I have heard of products which can do cloning and similar stuff, but there are many additional features in this tool, which is very useful for the testing and finding defects.

We found we mostly use one or two features, so we need to be very clear on what we need before choosing a product. Test Data Manager is good, and there are a lot of advantages that you get from using the tool, especially for testing and incubating with the App Test, which is something that we use a lot.

More Broadcom Test Data Manager reviews from users