Bromium Review

Enables us to isolate and prevent malicious code from email attachments and downloaded internet files

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for protecting endpoints from malware.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the number of virus and malware incidents and calls we have received compared to prior to deploying this product. Our overall security posture has improved. In conjunction with some of the other products that we have, it works well in ensuring that we don't get hit with any sort of malware or ransomware or virus outbreaks.

We've been able to isolate and prevent malicious code from external email attachments and from downloaded internet files. Those are the two big areas that have really made an impact.

Users, typically, are prone to just opening attachments out of email when they receive them from somebody from the outside. What this product does is, running under the hood or behind the scenes, it isolates and protects from anything that would have been maliciously installed on their computer. It does the same thing with external websites. When users go out to websites that we don't have internally marked, it provides that protection from anything that would be dropping files or anything like that on the computer.

What is most valuable?

Security, price, and usability are the three top features.

What needs improvement?

Room for improvement would be keeping up with the rate of change, specifically on Windows platforms. There are a lot of updates that come out for Microsoft Windows operating systems and the Bromium product needs to be able to keep up quickly with those updates and all the browser updates that are coming out. It's hard to do, but that's really where they need to be more responsive because we end up with problems. Then we have to call support, to get patches, etc.

After a major release, there's always a lot of "dust settling." You have to work through all those issues and then you're fine for a while. The problem is, it's stable, it's fine, until the next major release comes out. Then you go back into the cycle again of uncertainty, instability, working through issues until they have patched and remediated all the problems that you're having. It's not unlike any other vendor though. It’s the same across the board with everyone.

We haven't encountered any problems with scalability at all.

Technical support is excellent.

Bromium was the first of its kind to be implemented in our company.

The initial setup was straightforward. We followed the deployment methodology that they outlined and it pretty much worked the way it was supposed to.

Regarding the deployment, on a scale of one to ten, with one being the hardest and ten being the easiest, it's a ten. We didn't have any challenges.

Our ROI is the time saved, both from the security department standpoint of not having to deal with infected computers, and regarding the end-user's increased productivity because the machine is not taken from them and they're not waiting for a loaner machine.

I think the pricing is a good value. All of these security products are always going to be very expensive, but I don't think Bromium is unreasonable. I think Bromium is decently priced.

It’s a tiered licensing platform. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets per unit, and I think their tiers are very well defined. I think they're fair.

On paper, we evaluated a product from Menlo Security, but we chose to go with Bromium because it was agent-based.

What other advice do I have?

It's absolutely worth taking a look at this technology, especially if your environment is susceptible to ransomware or malware. This product is very effective in addressing that.

I rate Bromium at eight out of ten because I believe there's room for improvement in the rate at which they should keep up with updates, and maybe in some additional functionality.