CA 1 Tape Management Review

Built-in reports tell us since when, where, and how long a given tape has been on hand

What is our primary use case?

Tape management.

What is most valuable?

Tape Management is as vital to a shop as anything else. It has more features than I could name, but no other tape product is better. CA 1 Tape is a complete package that manages all of your tapes. Create/write/catalog, retention, delete. There are queries and reports, which are needed to know when/where/length keeping, etc., in order to track them or find out current status. Each of these functions is managed for every tape there is, one being required for the next. Each is a bit more involved than it may seem, but 100% necessary.

Beyond these functions, each of them vital, are "fix" types of jobs. These are not a daily thing, but if anything is broken such as pointers, then we would need to get a copy of the pointers and follow them backward and forward to fix it/them. Literally everything about the product is great!

Now that I think about it, CA 1 Tape did introduce, in 14.0, a new group of functions in CTS that could be used or not. We do not because we have other things in place. The messages/alerts it can watch for would be handy, we just haven’t set it up.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

They are "prime time," absolutely the best.

The product itself is fairly complex so the install is as well.

What other advice do I have?

It has been around for years. It came from UCCEL (and I was working way back then).

It is the best out there, but planning is essential.