CA ACF2 Review

Allows us to maintain tight controls on dataset and system access

What is our primary use case?

To provide security for the z/OS operating system.

How has it helped my organization?

By providing a high level of access control to the z/OS systems, ACF2 allows us to maintain tight controls on dataset and system access. It also helps us keep unauthorized users from accessing PHI or PII data.

What is most valuable?

• The level of protection that ACF2 provides.
  • The NOACCESS by default is another very good feature.
  • Access rules are straightforward, and easy to understand.

What needs improvement?

It needs longer rules. The max rule is 32K. It would be nice if the rules could be moved above the bar, which would allow for longer rules.

More than five years.

No issues, ACF2 is a very stable product.

We have not had any issues with scalability.

On a scale of one to 10, tech support would be an 11. They are knowledgeable about ACF2. They take ownership of the problem and provide the solutions you need.

We purchased a company that was running another security product. We converted that system to ACF2. On our systems, we have always been an ACF2 shop.

Back in the 1980s when all mainframe shops were installing some type of security software, ACF2 was the best choice.

What other advice do I have?

ACF2 was installed here in 1985, probably because MVS security, at that time, was very limited.