CA Agile Central Review

At the portfolio management level, we can see everything at one glance.

What is most valuable?

It's designed around Agile, so it has all of the pieces that match up with the process. For us, at the portfolio management level, we can see everything at one glance, all of the projects, where they're at; and, at the iteration level, we’re able to populate the iteration, and view progress reports on it. We've recently moved all of our defect tracking onto it also - it's nice to be able to pull defects right into sprint plans.

How has it helped my organization?

• We're using it to manage the training content development we're doing, so it's kind of a one-off case. It's not your typical agile project, but so far it's working well, and we're able to incorporate most of the agile methodology into our processes. We get all of the transparency that comes with the tool; so we have a clear view of what's happening with all of our projects, what state they're in, and where all the pieces are. Blockers stand out, so they're getting more attention. It's become our single location for project information. Although there's been a bit of a learning curve for the team (more around the processes we're using than with complexity in the product), I've had several team members tell me that it's a good product that they enjoy working with.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to be able to color code timeboxes, so I have an easy visual way to track the success of sprints. Workflow is not a strength, we've cobbled together our own workflows around changes in State and Ownership.

About a year now. What we're doing in CA Agile Central is pretty stable now, although we still tweak our own internal processes from time to time. Still exploring and learning the wonderful world of Agile.

We weren't involved in it.

It's been extremely stable for as long as we've been using it.

I see no problems with scalability. In addition to what we're doing, I know our Services team and Product Development team are using the product, so I expect scaling is not an issue.

Haven't really used it.

Haven't really used it. Which I like.

Spreadsheets and MS Project. CA Agile Central is designed around Agile methodology, so it was a perfect fit for the processes we wanted to put in place. We couldn't do the things we're doing now with the previous products.

I wasn't involved in setting up the product itself. I jumped in after it was already in use.

Wasn't involved.

The decision to use it came from our development team. The whole development team is using it. Our Services team has been using it for years.

If you're focusing on agile, this is the right product to use. It's built around it. I've tried to do things with MS Project and that sort of thing, and you just can't manage it the same way. It's just not built for the same kind of cycle.

What other advice do I have?

It is a well thought-out solution. It's a great centerpiece for Agile methodology. It works.