CA Agile Central Review

It allows us to work in a more dynamic fashion and track more of the development lifecycle, however it requires better scalability.

What is our primary use case?

Managing our development life cycle. In the ways in which we use it, it has been adequate.

How has it helped my organization?

We have gotten away from so much paper, which is more dynamic. It allows us to work in a more dynamic fashion and track more of the development lifecycle.

Essentially, we are replacing TeamTrack. TeamTrack was more of a waterfall type of process and documentation for us. In fact, I have tried to go back and look for some of those old projects and it is not possible to find them. Although with this product, searching for historical information or the evolution of the requirement, detecting conflict between projects has helped a lot.

What is most valuable?

Better requirements. As the story is developed, there is not so much time devoted to clarification of requirement. It helps us get a better product to production.

It is a more detailed process for a lifecycle. We go from requirements to implementation. I use it with my teams for time management as well, time reporting and management.

What needs improvement?

We are not on the most current version, so it may have been addressed, I have not really seen the new product yet.

I would like to see more in the way of capitalization. I spend a lot of time on capitalization. Working out capitalization, it is largely manual work, where it does not have to be. The tool, I think can support it. When it is a story, capitalization in the current version of the solution we are using, occurs at the task level. I would like to see it roll up a little better to the story level, then up to the feature.

I have not had any issues with stability at all.

It requires better scalability for the implementation of the whole suite. We do not use it in that fashion, and visibility is sometimes a problem.

We are housed with our business units and we are a Fortune 200 company, but not all the elements of the business units can always see an aspect of a project or stories. They can't get those stories, which are not necessarily visible. I happen to manage development on a product that has impact across all business units, across all business departments. So, I have to do some housekeeping, and maintenance in trying to broadcast what we are changing about the software to those other units that do not necessarily have the ability to see those changes, or awareness that those changes are happening.

I have not used technical support. I work with a person in-house who liaises with CA.

We underwent a philosophical change, if you will. We consciously chose to move away from waterfall as a development mechanism to more of an agile framework. We are not a traditional agile approach, because of the nature of our business. I would really like to see more flexibility, flexibility in adopting hybrid approaches.

I did not find it to be complex. I find the methodology to be more complex than the tool.

One of my development teams was one of the first teams to use and embrace it. It was a new team, so it was an easier transition for that team to begin using this product over the other tools that we use.

What other advice do I have?

Have a clear vision of where you want to go, and make sure the elements of the tool accommodate that vision.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Cost
  • How well we can adapt the practices of the vendor to have some pretty clear direction on where we want to be, not necessarily how to get there. It has to be a partnership.