CA Agile Requirements Designer Review

We can automatically generate our test cases. They need to make it more user-friendly, so that you can navigate from one section to another.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features is that you can actually develop some of the business designs in the application and transfer that into scenarios if you don't go out of the detail level. And you can see the coverage. You can get your test cases automatically done for you.

How has it helped my organization?

I believe the best thing is that you can automatically generate your test cases.

What needs improvement?

Because of the way it is designed, all the boxes are displayed no matter how many there are. So, the more boxes you create the smaller and smaller they are displayed and you cannot even read it. So it's impossible to design your requirements. If you cannot read the boxes, what's the point?

Then, they need to make it more user-friendly, so that you can navigate from one section to another. Also, being able to automatically create stories. Some of the feedback I received from my team is that you cannot go out of the detail level. For example, if you want to create test cases from this level, it actually stays at a really high level unless you add a hundred steps. And then you have a huge process diagram that you have to maintain after that.

I haven't actually installed it, so I can’t give you much information about that. But, I've seen that its not able to do some things. For example, you cannot create user stories inside Agile Requirements Designer. We just saw another product where you could drill down to BBD and TDD. And you can actually transform that and create your user stories to be able to do that and this product is lacking that.

We haven't actually used technical support yet.

Well right now we use multiple systems. For example, if you want to build your business diagram, you have to use Visio. You can’t export the diagram into a format useable by Agile Requirements Designer. You need to go directly to an application lifecycle management system and build your steps, but you need follow the business diagram you created in Visio to be able to create those steps for those test cases.

So you have to upload all your requirements into an ALM system to be able to identify your metrics. But with this tool, I see the benefit that you can actually do it automatically. To be able to identify all scenarios, you need to test.

We just saw another product called Blueprint that is very similar to this. It was very user friendly and it has a lot of capabilities for where we're heading, which is agile. It’s very user friendly, the navigation is really good, and you can read the boxes.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the amount of time that you have to invest to maintain it and because its not simple, not user friendly, I would rate CA Agile Requirements Designer a 5/10.

3 Comments
Praveen K Sajja R, IT IlConsultant

Hello,
Your review was so helpful.
Could you please provide the tool name for BDD and TDD which you have mentioned in your review?
Thanks!

16 March 17
Product Marketing Manager at CA TechnologiesVendor

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for the review! Generating test cases from the user story is a huge benefit, but I would agree there are some areas that could be enhanced for additional user friendliness. Our latest release has addressed some of those.

Regarding building a requirements model too large to see; As a best practice, might I suggest try using subflows. Subflows allow you model out specific features separately and tie them into a larger user story. They operate as models within models. Test cases from a master flow include the test cases stored in the subflow. In the same way, user stories can roll up into an epic. Another advantage is this becomes useful for regression testing. Let me know if you'd like some assistance! You can PM me on Twitter or LinkedIn.

03 April 17
Quality Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

I hope I never have to create test cases another way again. CA Agile Designer has enabled us to increase our throughput far more than I could have imagined. Yes, you can create stories and export those stories. You can then create flows from those stories and... Sub-flows is the way to go in order to manage varying levels of flows.

Hint for managing large flows; What we tend to do is find the comfortable size to work with on the screen, this is different for different users but it's close to what would look good in a power point slide. We then block our flows with groups of nodes that fit within that window. Most blocks of data in desktop and web apps tend to fit in this type of view window. We then use color to frame those 'sections'. It looks good and shows well in a presentation. Good luck, use the community to help solve growing pains.

04 July 17