CA Agile Requirements Designer Review

In the first year, we saw about a 70% reduction in our script creation time

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we use it to convert our test process to model-based. It has actually changed our entire process from script-based to model-based.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been pretty dramatic. We have rolled it out across many of our digital teams. In the first year, we saw about a 70% reduction in our script creation time. So, we went from five days per sprint to one day, one to one and a half days per sprint in the script creation. So, it has been really effective.

What is most valuable?

1. The co-monitorial modeling. It lets us reduce the amount of scripts that we need to execute to get complete coverage. That is really important to us.
  2. Traceability from requirements through test cases.

What needs improvement?

1. A better alignment to compliance-related requirements and being able to get visibility into those. It is really important for our industry.
  2. Test data: There is Test Data On-Demand and there is the vTDM solution. We would like to see a nice integration between the data and the models. That is really going to help us in terms of CI/CD.

Stability is good. Any issues that we have had in terms of rollout, the CA team has been there to support us all along the way. All the solutions solved our problems so that has helped a lot to ensure we are using the product right. Where there were gaps, they closed them pretty quickly. We had the CA team and the whole group combined spent a lot of time with us, and they have been really responsive. From that perspective, where there were issues, we have solved them pretty fast.

I am not seeing any real issues here. Early on, we had implemented in a way that was not very scalable. We quickly corrected the way we had it implemented. We would love to see it go to a SaaS solution. It is just easier from a procurement and onboarding perspective. However, so far, the scaling has been fine.

Make sure CA is with you regarding the support.

We are a large legacy company with a lot of legacy software. Converting to DevOps and agile, obviously, we had to get faster to the market. Our mind was already wrapped around how we enable teams. When we found the solution that fit nicely into where we are trying to go with our development process overall, it just kind of evolved.

I was involved in the initial setup. What is good is there were some consulting services to make the complex a little more simple. We have some real talented guys on our team that were more instrumental in that rollout than I was. So, it was not that difficult. One of the more difficult things is just getting people to think in terms of drawing models instead of writing scripts. Changing that mindset was something that we had to do, but CA helped us through that as well.

There is the open source community, then there is the traditional HPE product suite that we are already using. However, there were not a lot of products that did model-based solutions like this. Specific to this tool, probably just HPE.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

The tool capability is important, but we also assess the risk of the company. For example:

• How stable are they?
  • Are they enterprise-wide?
  • Do they understand a company of our scale?
  • Can they scale with us?

That is really important.

The second thing I look for is support. It is really difficult to affect change if you are in it on your own trying to get it done. So, having a team there beside you which helps facilitate the change is really important. I think CA has done a good job with that.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Lana RousakovskiConsultant

In our implementation to model-based test approach, we also found that the most challenging part for people to overcome is not the tool itself, but shift in the way of thinking, similar to what you experienced - from script writing to models. Those that were able to realize the difference and see the benefit on MBT approach - saw great results that led to not just faster tests creation but also to reduction of defects that otherwise would result from ambiguous or missing requirements.

08 May 18