CA Agile Requirements Designer Review

Creating the model is faster than trying to generate test cases, and provides a visual representation of our requirements

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily to model our applications to automatically generate test cases.

It's great. It's preformed very well. It's very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

There are three major benefits. The first one is there is a time savings. It's much faster to create the model than it is to generate test cases. It's much faster to update the test cases in the model than it is to update them manually.

The second benefit is really around organization. It helps you organize the different parts of your application and it really forces you to understand how they work well together.

The third benefit is it's a visual representation of your requirements, which is very useful when communicating with a business partner or communicating with another person inside the company, to help them understand the application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the automatic creation of the test cases, based on the models. And the impact analyzer that shows you where your change is impacting your test cases, and the ability to export that to our TFS Instance.

What needs improvement?

We're actually participating with CA to provide some enhancement requests on new features we'd like to see. I can't think of any specific ones off the top of my head, but I know they are evaluating, and they have already provided us features based on our feedback previously.

In terms of improvements, just licensing. That's a big area.

There are some opportunities to improve the stability. The application will often times, if you put your computer to sleep and you open it back up, not be responsive any longer. You'll have to kill it and open it back up. But the good thing is that I've talk with CA about that, and they're actually fixing the issue.

They're very receptive to fixing the product. It's a fairly new, young product.

I don't see any concerns with scalability. It's really a local install. I don't have any concerns there.

Tech support is one of their strongest features. The people that support the tool, know the tool. The product owner is here at the CA World conference. I've met him; I already knew him from interactions with support. So they're very, very good and responsive as it relates to support.

My CA representative and I were talking about a problem I was having and he described to me how this tool could help with it.

This was a problem that we were having independent of CA products. It was a problem that we were having in our testing space. This was a tool that we weren't actively using but helped to resolve that issue.

Everything but the licensing was straightforward. The licensing is extremely complex. It needs work. That's probably the biggest issue. I know they are redesigning the licensing model, but that was a royal pain, to be honest.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, there are a few key things.

• The features of the tool - do we already have something that exists that has that capability today?
  • Cost, obviously - what's the cost?

Those are the main areas.

I rate it a nine out of 10 based purely on the experience with licensing. If that were resolved it would absolutely be a 10.

Regarding advice to a colleague looking at this type of solution, I would say buy it. Start using it. I would give them an overview of what it does. There are great YouTube videos out there on ARD. That's how I initially learned about it, outside of the conversation with my CA rep. So go look at the YouTube videos, but then get your hands dirty. Get in there and start working with it, because it's really powerful once you learn it.

2 visitors found this review helpful