Ca2

CA Allocate DASD Space and Placement Review
It's a space recovery product that helps us fix problems before they happen so we work on them after running a job, but I don't want to have to touch a file to make changes or updates.

Valuable Features:

Allocate is the space recovery process that's almost like automation. It puts "hooks" into a system so when files grow and shrink, and when people are creating their data, CA Allocate intercepts and fixes them in a way that there is no bend even if the user does not put the right space parameters because they don't know the data or the data just grew. It changes those space parameters so that the job doesn't bend. We can run reports after and talk to the people and tell them they can go ahead and fix their job later.

Improvements to My Organization:

One of the biggest benefits of CA Allocate is in the cost. We initially went with BMC MainView, which is a great product and a little more user friendly than CA Allocate. But because of our good relationship with CA, we were able to mimic everything we had with BMC. Any issues we had doing that, CA collected them right away to help us.

As a space recovery product, CA Allocate helps us fix problems before they happen and then we work on them after we run a job. If somebody does not put the right space parameter, we let the job run and then we fix it after. If somebody does not optimize a data set, we run our reports after talking to these people without ever having an event waste CPU cycles.

Room for Improvement:

I want ease of support. BMC MainView has a panel where you see all the functions and you just select what you want to do and you can fix it right there and then. You don't have to go to a file and look at all the codes and makes changes from there. I want something like that with CA Allocate, something where I don't have to touch a file. I want just to update what I want to update and it does the update itself.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment so far.

Stability Issues:

We just moved from BMC MainView to this, and so far so good.

They've been great.

Initial Setup:

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice:

I would like to be able to maintain it not in a hard way, but something simple. Allocate is a good product, but it's not there yet in terms of that.

1 visitor found this review helpful
Anonymous avatar x30

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA Allocate DASD Space and Placement?

Our experts can help. 222,213 professionals have used our research on 5,674 solutions.