CA Allocate DASD Space and Placement Review
Prevents programs from ABENDing on the system, does an automatic extension

What is most valuable?

It stops ABENDs, space ABENDs from occurring. It stops B37 ABENDs from happening. It prevents programs from ABENDing on the system, it does an automatic extension. That’s the feature we like.

What needs improvement?

I've never had any real issues with the product.

More than five years.

It's very stable.

It seems to be very scalable.

Their tech support folks were very helpful in explaining things. I rate them as excellent.

We installed it as a replacement for a similar product from another vendor. We did that for cost reasons. We were using a BMC product. It was time for a renewal. We looked at the price and thought we really should make the effort to switch off of it, so we did.

I had to make two changes in jobs, and I can’t even remember what the reason was. I remember there were two things that were working differently between the two products. It was not that big a deal. Off the top of my head, I can’t remember what the two little changes were I had to make.

For us, CA Allocate was a product that had been included and we just did not take advantage of it. Instead, we were used to using the old product. Finally, we took a look at it and realized we could save a lot of money if we just dropped the old product, since we already had the CA Allocate bundled with our existing software from them.

It’s complex until you get used to the rules, how you write the rules. Their tech support was helpful. They helped me convert my existing rules to the CA Allocate rules. It’s complex, but with their assistance, it was very easy.

Training took less than a month. Actually, I had three two-hour phone calls with them. That was enough to get it rolling. They sent me some examples and I talked to them on the phone and got through it. It’s not that hard.

It’s all how well you can negotiate. With the software vendors on the mainframe side of the world, it’s all in your negotiating skills for getting a good price for what you want.

What other advice do I have?

I’ve been at this company since August of 2015, so they’ve been using CA for longer than that. I’ve been a CA user for probably 30 years.

Overall, I would rate it about an eight out of 10, because I just don’t like to rate anything as 10. There’s always room for improvement.

Just read the books and go step by step, the way they guide you through the book.