CA API Management Review

We needed a way to secure our externally-facing services. This solution was a lot more lightweight and its security chops were more apparent.

Improvements to My Organization:

We needed a way to secure our externally-facing services. Layer 7 was a lot more lightweight and its security chops were more apparent. For deployment, it needed the ability to go with a VM image because it was not going to be on-premise. It was going to be in a cloud offering in front of our commerce spot.

Room for Improvement:

Because of our experience with our cloud-hosting provider's image requirements versus what CA provided them, I think an area of improvement would be additional form factors for virtualization.

Initial Setup:

There were some issues during the initial setup. Our cloud-hosting partner required certain things, such as ESXi hosts and images. They were very particular about what kind of image they wanted versus what kind of image CA provided. So what I think would be an improvement would be support for additional virtualized form factors.

Implementation Team:

CA helped with the architecture, the design, the implementation and it's in place but it's not actively being used because the backing system isn't there yet. I can't tell you qualitatively like, "Oh, yes, it's working very well." I don't know how it's working because nobody's using it. It's waiting for the system to be ready and operational. The implementation, though, was done very well.

Other Solutions Considered:

Layer 7 was top-of-class in the Gartner Magic Quadrant, Forrester, and all that stuff, so I did the selection process there and looked at a couple of different competitors.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
SwapnilSReal UserTOP 10

Instead of now going and working with old ways of Cloud based and Onprem API Gatways, There is a need to focus on ServiceMesh based API like ISTIO-Calico. Which are more lightweight ,operationally light,flexible,and has different management and Traffic planes so that both can be deployed and managed separately. This provides tremendous flexible architecture for todays Hybrid cloud scenarios and also its reduces latency and round trip.

APIGEE and Mashery are not pure service mesh with seperate Mgmt and Control plane but a FrontEnd API Cloud gateway. And Complexity is there if you go out of their defined steps.

Swapnil

SwapnilSReal UserTOP 10

Now what are we consuming. Heavy CDN based are consumed by AVRO-GRPC or MessageBuff+JSON Binary. Does APIGEE support such things..NO its not its capabilitymapping. So this has to be part of Universal DATA GRID or IMDG like IGNITE OR GRIDGRAIN. Today one of a director of well know UK company was having its current architecture and asking about APIGEE consuming CDN overy may be No SQL and Microservices assets only. Without a Universal SDO like IMDC in place, even FDD architecture for todays Digital assets Tx is complex.

SwapnilSReal UserTOP 10

ALSO some of the practitioners are talking about Digital TX using just API led monitization. IS BPM Analytics Led solution DEAD?. Can true Digital Tx end-end happen without BPM in between. How does a CEO or CTO get end-end process view? Can automation be it digital can be implemented without a BPM layer as a Service.?