Ca2

CA API Management Review
The operational side of API Management is pretty simple.

Video Review:

Valuable Features:

What I felt was when we reviewed it along with the multiple other vendors in the market was that the operational side of API Management is pretty simple, so that we can ramp it up very fast in our organization. The way the product is built was really good.

Improvements to My Organization:

It simplifies the operational cost because it is self contained in one container, or one image, so when we wanted to scale, when we wanted to deploy a new Gateway, you could literally do it in like 2 to 3 hours or less than 30 minutes. If you have an automated way you can spin up an automated way.

We also have the ability to deploy it in the cloud if we wanted to. That is one of the very powerful things for us to get the buy-in from our operations team.

Room for Improvement:

The API Management has few products - Gateway, Portal. So far both Gateway and Portal are good but we would like to see a bit more improvements on the Portal side like giving a polished look for the documentation on the Portal. The Gateway is kind of solid.

Today it is not that straightforward to generate a document, even the data generate, and it's not really auto-generating it from the Gateway. I would like to see an auto-generation of the documentation.

Previous Solutions:

We work with a few other vendors, I don't want to name them but they are leading vendors in the API Management space. We picked the CA solution for a few reasons, because we have some legacy protocol that's being supported only by CA API Management and that is the reason why we picked it. Another reason why we picked it is the operational management is much simpler when compared to other vendors.

Initial Setup:

It was not that complex. It's pretty straightforward and easy to set up. There are a few optimizations and nuances that you may not be able to do as a starter, but you should be able to get help from CA support to do those.

Other Solutions Considered:

We have a process to follow to pick up a vendor. We look at the company to see how the company is doing, what is the market presence for them and the maintainability, manageability, supportability, scalability, and whether they are meeting all the functional requirements. We have an individual line item for every section of this and we score them individually, that's how we pick our vendors.

Other Advice:

On a scale of one to ten, I would give CA API Management a nine. The scalability of the Gateway is pretty straightforward and easy, because it's simply contained within as an image, or as a simple container form. You can easily deploy and add, and it supports a cluster architecture so that you can add new nodes on the go and it automatically gets all the things that is already available, so that is pretty neat.

I would always go back and look at the business benefit behind it rather than the technical aspect. We have to think from the business standpoint, "Why do you need API Management? Do you want it to be more of an API company or you're selling your API, or you want to do an omni-channel approach? Or what is the reason, are you simplify the integration?" That drives lots of real value and that gives you full feasibility why you wanted to bring in an API Management solution. I would recommend to analyze that aspect before you try to purchase an API Management solution.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA API Management?

Our experts can help. 229,168 professionals have used our research on 5,847 solutions.